Am I crazy?

bluejersey
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2493 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So I committed to 8 games this weekend. On Saturday I have a 12u game, two 15u games, and a 9u game. All four are behind the plate. Sunday I have 2 men's baseball doubleheaders switching positions with my partner for each game. I usually only do 6 games at most each weekend. Will I survive?

• Like 1

I wouldn't survive the wrath of my wife for being gone that much of a weekend. I'll normal only work one day (Friday if I'm off, or Saturday) on the weekends. I try to leave Sundays for the Lord and my family, unless it something really good like a college tournament game. Plus I'm not sure I could call 8 games especially if its Crazy hot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluejersey said:

So I committed to 8 games this weekend. On Saturday I have a 12u game, two 15u games, and a 9u game. All four are behind the plate. Sunday I have 2 men's baseball doubleheaders switching positions with my partner for each game. I usually only do 6 games at most each weekend. Will I survive?

It's a good attempt at a humble-brag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluejersey said:

I have now read your post... and it has confirmed my previous post.

I know I didn't think about the four plate games until after I took them all....

The first three are back to back then I have a bit of a break before the fourth. I'll make sure to bring a cooler with water and a towel.

18 minutes ago, yoitsrc said:

I can't believe your assignor gave you all four plates. When I get that many or more assignments in a day my assignor tells me to do max of two plates for the day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The first three are from my hometown rec assignor and I always work the plate because 13-14 year olds work the bases. The last one just happened to be a plate assignment from another assignor. I might ask my partner to switch.

I always cringe when I see these types of schedules...........Its not "how many games an umpire can do"..........we've all done tourneys and packed schedules, but it is definitely "How many games you can DO WELL".......

Good Luck... 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Stan W. said:

I always cringe when I see these types of schedules...........Its not "how many games an umpire can do"..........we've all done tourneys and packed schedules, but it is definitely "How many games you can DO WELL".......

Good Luck... 

Yeah, and there's that...   heck I don't even do 8 games in a WEEK.   

6 hours ago, Stan W. said:

Good Luck... 

Its not how fast you mow the grass, its how fast do you mow the grass well?

I remember when I was young and doing that many plate games for a rec team's invitational tourney. It was pure stupidity on my part. It was hot and my strike zone looked like Swiss cheese at the end. Doing stuff like that does not do your reputation any good. 

After that, I made a rule of doing two games a day (plate and bases). Only in special cases would I do three, one game rest in between and making sure the last game was an evening start. Definately game 3 is not going in the 3-6 pm time slot. There is not enough water/fluids I could drink in a day to make sure I was hydrated enough for more games. Three games is about a 9 hour commitment. 

My feeling is both teams deserve me at my best. Stay fresh and give them your best. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2017 at 6:46 AM, bluejersey said:

You might survive, but ask yourself this, will you be as good in the 4th game as you are in the 1st or 2nd?  If the answer is no, then you shouldn't have taken that many plate games in a row.

IMO, more than 1 plate a day is crazy, even at the younger ages. Your concentration tends to go down or you may even just be wishing that the day was over by the 2nd or 3rd plate. Is this fair to the kids? To the other umpires working the tournament?

After working a college double header (and only having 1 plate), I am more mentally exhausted than physically tired. I can't imagine doing 8 games in 2 days.

The MOST games I would work in a day is 3 with only 1 plate. I have worked large tournaments (12 yo and up) around the country and even out of the country, and the basic rule of the assignor (especially in hot weather), has been - if you work the plate, that is probably the only game for you in the day. If you do have a second game, it WILL be the bases and there is a place for you to go to cool in a shower or air conditioning and at least a game in between to rehydrate and maybe even eat something to help your energy.

If you are doing it just for the pay, you are in the wrong business. Just my experiences and opinion.

50 minutes ago, maineump said:

IMO, more than 1 plate a day is crazy, even at the younger ages. Your concentration tends to go down or you may even just be wishing that the day was over by the 2nd or 3rd plate. Is this fair to the kids? To the other umpires working the tournament?

After working a college double header (and only having 1 plate), I am more mentally exhausted than physically tired. I can't imagine doing 8 games in 2 days.

The MOST games I would work in a day is 3 with only 1 plate. I have worked large tournaments (12 yo and up) around the country and even out of the country, and the basic rule of the assignor (especially in hot weather), has been - if you work the plate, that is probably the only game for you in the day. If you do have a second game, it WILL be the bases and there is a place for you to go to cool in a shower or air conditioning and at least a game in between to rehydrate and maybe even eat something to help your energy.

If you are doing it just for the pay, you are in the wrong business. Just my experiences and opinion.

MAKE IT RAIN????