Register or Sign In to remove these ads
bluejersey

Am I crazy?

49 posts in this topic

So I committed to 8 games this weekend. On Saturday I have a 12u game, two 15u games, and a 9u game. All four are behind the plate. Sunday I have 2 men's baseball doubleheaders switching positions with my partner for each game. I usually only do 6 games at most each weekend. Will I survive?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

Well at least the hot temps are mid week this week 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't survive the wrath of my wife for being gone that much of a weekend. I'll normal only work one day (Friday if I'm off, or Saturday) on the weekends. I try to leave Sundays for the Lord and my family, unless it something really good like a college tournament game. Plus I'm not sure I could call 8 games especially if its Crazy hot. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluejersey said:

So I committed to 8 games this weekend. On Saturday I have a 12u game, two 15u games, and a 9u game. All four are behind the plate. Sunday I have 2 men's baseball doubleheaders switching positions with my partner for each game. I usually only do 6 games at most each weekend. Will I survive?

It's a good attempt at a humble-brag.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did not read the post... but as guessing that you are an umpire... yes you are.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluejersey said:

So I committed to 8 games this weekend. On Saturday I have a 12u game, two 15u games, and a 9u game. All four are behind the plate. Sunday I have 2 men's baseball doubleheaders switching positions with my partner for each game. I usually only do 6 games at most each weekend. Will I survive?

I have now read your post... and it has confirmed my previous post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stay hydrated and focused. I could not do that many plates. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 plate games!!   PPPPPPshaw!   You can do it, just take this along..............

 

Image result for baseball umpire chair

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe your assignor gave you all four plates. When I get that many or more assignments in a day my assignor tells me to do max of two plates for the day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I didn't think about the four plate games until after I took them all....

The first three are back to back then I have a bit of a break before the fourth. I'll make sure to bring a cooler with water and a towel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, not sure why ended up with the plate in all 4 Saturday. And assigning who gets plates for regular games is still super strange to me. Never worked for an association that did that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, yoitsrc said:

I can't believe your assignor gave you all four plates. When I get that many or more assignments in a day my assignor tells me to do max of two plates for the day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
 

The first three are from my hometown rec assignor and I always work the plate because 13-14 year olds work the bases. The last one just happened to be a plate assignment from another assignor. I might ask my partner to switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You must have young knees.   I remember those days.   Vaguely. 

Have fun, keep 'em moving. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always cringe when I see these types of schedules...........Its not "how many games an umpire can do"..........we've all done tourneys and packed schedules, but it is definitely "How many games you can DO WELL".......

Good Luck... 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Stan W. said:

I always cringe when I see these types of schedules...........Its not "how many games an umpire can do"..........we've all done tourneys and packed schedules, but it is definitely "How many games you can DO WELL".......

Good Luck... 

Yeah, and there's that...   heck I don't even do 8 games in a WEEK.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure of your survival but your bank account will get a little bump lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stan W. said:

I always cringe when I see these types of schedules...........Its not "how many games an umpire can do"..........we've all done tourneys and packed schedules, but it is definitely "How many games you can DO WELL".......

Good Luck... 

Its not how fast you mow the grass, its how fast do you mow the grass well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bluejersey said:

Will I survive?

Hang on. Let me shake my Magic 8 Ball and see what it says.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ElkOil said:

Hang on. Let me shake my Magic 8 Ball and see what it says.

magic-8-ball.jpg

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when I was young and doing that many plate games for a rec team's invitational tourney. It was pure stupidity on my part. It was hot and my strike zone looked like Swiss cheese at the end. Doing stuff like that does not do your reputation any good. 

After that, I made a rule of doing two games a day (plate and bases). Only in special cases would I do three, one game rest in between and making sure the last game was an evening start. Definately game 3 is not going in the 3-6 pm time slot. There is not enough water/fluids I could drink in a day to make sure I was hydrated enough for more games. Three games is about a 9 hour commitment. 

My feeling is both teams deserve me at my best. Stay fresh and give them your best. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2017 at 6:46 AM, bluejersey said:

So I committed to 8 games this weekend. On Saturday I have a 12u game, two 15u games, and a 9u game. All four are behind the plate. Sunday I have 2 men's baseball doubleheaders switching positions with my partner for each game. I usually only do 6 games at most each weekend. Will I survive?

You might survive, but ask yourself this, will you be as good in the 4th game as you are in the 1st or 2nd?  If the answer is no, then you shouldn't have taken that many plate games in a row.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, more than 1 plate a day is crazy, even at the younger ages. Your concentration tends to go down or you may even just be wishing that the day was over by the 2nd or 3rd plate. Is this fair to the kids? To the other umpires working the tournament?

After working a college double header (and only having 1 plate), I am more mentally exhausted than physically tired. I can't imagine doing 8 games in 2 days.

The MOST games I would work in a day is 3 with only 1 plate. I have worked large tournaments (12 yo and up) around the country and even out of the country, and the basic rule of the assignor (especially in hot weather), has been - if you work the plate, that is probably the only game for you in the day. If you do have a second game, it WILL be the bases and there is a place for you to go to cool in a shower or air conditioning and at least a game in between to rehydrate and maybe even eat something to help your energy.

If you are doing it just for the pay, you are in the wrong business. Just my experiences and opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, maineump said:

IMO, more than 1 plate a day is crazy, even at the younger ages. Your concentration tends to go down or you may even just be wishing that the day was over by the 2nd or 3rd plate. Is this fair to the kids? To the other umpires working the tournament?

After working a college double header (and only having 1 plate), I am more mentally exhausted than physically tired. I can't imagine doing 8 games in 2 days.

The MOST games I would work in a day is 3 with only 1 plate. I have worked large tournaments (12 yo and up) around the country and even out of the country, and the basic rule of the assignor (especially in hot weather), has been - if you work the plate, that is probably the only game for you in the day. If you do have a second game, it WILL be the bases and there is a place for you to go to cool in a shower or air conditioning and at least a game in between to rehydrate and maybe even eat something to help your energy.

If you are doing it just for the pay, you are in the wrong business. Just my experiences and opinion.

MAKE IT RAIN????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where's KenBAZ? Doesn't he do these crazy marathons, in the AZ heat no less, all the time? I thought we'd hear from him by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now