Baserunner Slides Into Base Puts Up Hand... Kills all plays?

NorkDorf Entertainment
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2508 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Runner slides into a base and then puts his hand up to get some time to stand up safely, when he puts up his hand and the ump gives him time to stand, does it kill the possibility for him to advance to another base?

For example : if the first baseman over throws the ball back to the pitcher, is the runner not allowed to run since you called time as the umpire to allow the runner to stand properly on the base?

23 answers to this question

Time is granted when the umpire judges it should be granted. If a player slides into a base and requests time to stand up, he's probably not going to get it. Even guys who wear protective gear will stand before they request time to shed their gear. If you watch carefully, they climb up the base, never losing contact. 

Umpires don't like to grant time, it makes the games longer. 

As for the overthrow back to the pitcher, that's the reason we don't grant time to stand up. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BaseballDudester said:

Is that suppose to be funny?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes it is, and was.

Taking out all the unnecessary verbiage, this is your question "after an umpire calls time, is the play still live?"  

So, forgive some people if they think you could have been joking.

Time is called/granted (and by extension, the play/ball is dead) when an umpire says so.  If the play was live after an umpire called time what would ever be the point of an umpire calling/granting it?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Yes it is, and was.

Taking out all the unnecessary verbiage, this is your question "after an umpire calls time, is the play still live?"  

So, forgive some people if they think you could have been joking.

Time is called/granted (and by extension, the play/ball is dead) when an umpire says so.  If the play was live after an umpire called time what would ever be the point of an umpire calling/granting it?

I think sometimes people think the ball can be "live" for some purposes and "dead" for another.  We usually see this come up when the plate umpire holds his (or her)  hand up to instruct the pitcher not to pitch, but allows a pick-off attempt.

Of course that's wrong -- either the ball is live, or it's dead.  If it's live bases can be run and runners can be put out.  If it's dead, nothing of the sort can happen (except awards / penalties / ejections that are the result of actions that happened while the ball was live).

18 hours ago, BaseballDudester said:

Runner slides into a base and then puts his hand up to get some time to stand up safely, when he puts up his hand and the ump gives him time to stand, does it kill the possibility for him to advance to another base?

For example : if the first baseman over throws the ball back to the pitcher, is the runner not allowed to run since you called time as the umpire to allow the runner to stand properly on the base?

You asked this same question over two years ago:

17 hours ago, Mister B said:

Time is granted when the umpire judges it should be granted. If a player slides into a base and requests time to stand up, he's probably not going to get it. Even guys who wear protective gear will stand before they request time to shed their gear. If you watch carefully, they climb up the base, never losing contact. 

Umpires don't like to grant time, it makes the games longer. 

As for the overthrow back to the pitcher, that's the reason we don't grant time to stand up. 

I wish that was the case in the Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth leagues that I do. Players are so ingrained to "call time" every time they find themselves on the ground. Of course most of the umpires grant it. When we get to the point of where the runner is lying on the base and the fielder continues to put the tag on them, what should we do? Just tell them to throw it to the pitcher?

Just now, Gfoley4 said:

I wish that was the case in the Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth leagues that I do. Players are so ingrained to "call time" every time they find themselves on the ground. Of course most of the umpires grant it. When we get to the point of where the runner is lying on the base and the fielder continues to put the tag on them, what should we do? Just tell them to throw it to the pitcher?

Why do you feel compelled to do anything at all? Doing nothing is a perfectly good option.

It's easy to think we have to do stuff when, in fact, we should let the players play. Our job is to judge and rule on stuff that happens. Not everything requires our input.

There are plenty of times when a runner asks me for time, and I'll just shake my head to say no, or if play hasn't relaxed, I'll say, "Not yet." If a fielder continues to put a tag on a runner, that's still a play in progress, so let it play out and see what happens.

1 hour ago, ElkOil said:

If a fielder continues to put a tag on a runner, that's still a play in progress, so let it play out and see what happens.

If that same fielder pulls away and just stands there with the ball, not allowing the runner to try and stand, I'll tell them to get the ball back to the pitcher. Still not granting time. 

33 minutes ago, Mister B said:

If that same fielder pulls away and just stands there with the ball, not allowing the runner to try and stand, I'll tell them to get the ball back to the pitcher. Still not granting time. 

So you wouldn't let him attempt a hidden ball trick? That doesn't seem right to me. There's nothing in the rules that says he has to return the ball to the pitcher within a certain amount of time.

33 minutes ago, ElkOil said:

So you wouldn't let him attempt a hidden ball trick? That doesn't seem right to me. There's nothing in the rules that says he has to return the ball to the pitcher within a certain amount of time.

I do mostly kids' games so there's a lot of guys hovering with the ball in case the runner accidently loses contact with the base. I'll let the hidden ball ride to a point, but most of the time the runner knows what's going on, so it's just an unnecessary delay. 

9 hours ago, Mister B said:

If you don't want to say "throw the ball back to the pitcher," then say "the play is over, he's safe" -- the fielder will then (usually) throw the ball.

A pet peeve of mine is the hitter holding his hand up to whoever he is holding it to, thinking he has time. I don't grant it, but many do. This also is an 'official time out', so keep the ball live and the game moving.

26 minutes ago, maineump said:

A pet peeve of mine is the hitter holding his hand up to whoever he is holding it to, thinking he has time. I don't grant it, but many do. This also is an 'official time out', so keep the ball live and the game moving.

Are you talking about when the batter is trying to get time because he needs to reset, or the pitcher is freezing him? I feel like as long as he is not abusing the privilege and if the pitcher hasn't started his delivery that this is his right, or a least a courtesy we should grant him. 

Or are you talking about while he is getting set in the box? to me the same holds true as the other. If he not abusing it this is a courtesy we should allow.  Now, with this time is not grated your just making sure the pitcher doesn't pitch until he is batter set. I normally will not give the do not pitch sign, unless it appears that the pitcher has already taken the signs and is ready to throw. 

These types of things are not what makes the game take forever. its things like calling a small zone, not hustling them out in between innings, and not hustling yourself. 

As to the OP, I'm not granting time, unless it like a 10U game, where the kid hasn't learned how to stand up yet, and that would only be if i couldn't make the fielder throw ball back. maybe another time would be if there all tide up and neither can really move easily. 

1 hour ago, White47 said:

Are you talking about when the batter is trying to get time because he needs to reset, or the pitcher is freezing him? I feel like as long as he is not abusing the privilege and if the pitcher hasn't started his delivery that this is his right, or a least a courtesy we should grant him. 

Or are you talking about while he is getting set in the box? to me the same holds true as the other. If he not abusing it this is a courtesy we should allow.  Now, with this time is not grated your just making sure the pitcher doesn't pitch until he is batter set. I normally will not give the do not pitch sign, unless it appears that the pitcher has already taken the signs and is ready to throw. 

These types of things are not what makes the game take forever. its things like calling a small zone, not hustling them out in between innings, and not hustling yourself. 

As to the OP, I'm not granting time, unless it like a 10U game, where the kid hasn't learned how to stand up yet, and that would only be if i couldn't make the fielder throw ball back. maybe another time would be if there all tide up and neither can really move easily. 

I am talking about him setting in the box. That hand up that he gives is more for the catcher than me IMO. If he is getting rushed, then I will try to slow down the catcher first and have him give the batter time to get in. The batter needs to stay in the box (unless the criteria to leave are met), and get ready.

If he is asking for time after in the box, and the battery is taking too long, then yes, he gets time.

Kids and coaches think that they can step out every time get the 10 part signal, take their time stepping back in and we are basing the game on them. We do have an option to start calling strikes, and I have talked to a coach that was taking too much time with his signals about doing this.

If every batter used his 20 seconds for every pitch, as the rule allows, then the game definitely takes longer. I agree that calling strikes helps speed up the game, but kids calling for time to throw the ball back to the pitcher or to stand up on the base does take time, and we should try to keep the ball live as much as we can.

It is amazing, It takes 2+ hours to do a HS game (usually 2:15 +) despite pushing them to get out to the field or to stay in the box. This year alone I have done many 9 inning college games in under 2:05. It has a lot to do with pitchers hitting spots, hitters swinging the bat, fielders making the plays. But most of it has to do with hitters getting into the box quickly, getting the warm-up pitches done in about 1 minute, pitchers working faster than HS kids, and not having to meet at the mound before every inning.