Register or Sign In to remove these ads
JonnyCat

Strange Play

Specks    106
16 hours ago, ElkOil said:

seen the fallout from an umpire mis-applying or mis-interpreting rules, then ejecting a coach for arguing about it. It never goes well.

To me, this is 2 different things. Just because an Umpire is wrong doesn't give the coach a license to be a jackass. Once he realizes the Umpire doesn't know the correct ruling let it go. I had to eject a coach once over what turned out to be my mistake but that was my problem, the ejection was his fault and his alone.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
ElkOil    694
2 hours ago, Specks said:

To me, this is 2 different things. Just because an Umpire is wrong doesn't give the coach a license to be a jackass. Once he realizes the Umpire doesn't know the correct ruling let it go. I had to eject a coach once over what turned out to be my mistake but that was my problem, the ejection was his fault and his alone.

I agree that the argument isn't about the topic, but more about the behavior. However, that's no excuse for us to not know the rules or butcher an interpretation. Because if we had our house in order, there wouldn't have been much of a discussion in the first place. And if it was the coach who was wrong, well, that's a different story.

And here's another, often overlooked aspect of this umpire/coach/school (or whoever) relationship: they've hired us. They're our customers and have a reasonable expectation that we'll know what we're doing and behave accordingly. Because trust me, when this comes back to the association, the fact that the coach behaved like a d-bag has nothing to do with it anymore.