Register or Sign In to remove these ads
slo8140

Hot Weather Base Shoe

slo8140    122

Looking for some feedback. Maybe from guys that work a lot of travel ball on turf fields. I am going to an umpire clinic in Oklahoma this summer where we will work on turf. Any recommendations on some base shoes with a little ventilation. They don't need to be baseball specific, just comfortable and look decent. I have NB 950V2 that I love, but they are hot since they are leather on the top of the foot. Looking for something with a little mesh to help cool my feet down.

Thanks.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Tksjewelry    370

I'd go look at the Nike running shoes. Plenty of mesh and look nice. Lots of our guys wear running shoes for travel ball, especially when you're doing 5 slots in 95+ degrees.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

slo8140    122

That is what I was thinking. I have not worn nikes in years...A brooks guy. Not sure what people recommend. Thanks for the input.

BrianC14    422

How about these?

They're black, so you'd have the standard look.

Plenty of ventilation.  They're not 'baseball specific', but they are certainly multi-functional.  They're comfortable, and they look decent.   

:o

ugg-australia-black-fluff-shearling-fur-flip-flop-slipper-product-0-555472616-normal.jpeg

• Like 5

Thunderheads    2,360

this is what I use on turf .......... old, but you may be able to find them on ebay  (Nike Lunar TR1 (first edtion)

Image result for nike lunar TR1 black white

blue32    163

https://www.modells.com/product/under_armour_ultimate_turf_mens_baseball_trainer-1292146-001.do

I got a pair of these recently. We only have one turf field in my parts, so I can't comment on that, but they have a nice mix of "leather" and mesh. The strip around the toe cap is a high gloss. I got them for base shoes because I thought they looked good (I'm in the "I like white on my base shoes" camp), and am not a big fan of NB base shoes. I got them at Modells.com for $59.99. I haven't worn them yet, so I can't say how comfortable they are, but I don't usually have trouble with shoes, so I'm sure they are fine. 

slo8140    122
1 hour ago, blue32 said:

https://www.modells.com/product/under_armour_ultimate_turf_mens_baseball_trainer-1292146-001.do

I got a pair of these recently. We only have one turf field in my parts, so I can't comment on that, but they have a nice mix of "leather" and mesh. The strip around the toe cap is a high gloss. I got them for base shoes because I thought they looked good (I'm in the "I like white on my base shoes" camp), and am not a big fan of NB base shoes. I got them at Modells.com for $59.99. I haven't worn them yet, so I can't say how comfortable they are, but I don't usually have trouble with shoes, so I'm sure they are fine. 

My local academy has those was going to go try on a pair today.

Mister B    102
2 hours ago, White47 said:

I use shoes from sketchers when working bases on turf. Cool and super comfy.

Ditto. Got a pair of all black with memory foam insoles. $20 at Ross. 

blue32    163
2 hours ago, slo8140 said:

My local academy has those was going to go try on a pair today.

I really like the look of them.

Majordave    1,571
5 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

How about these?

Plenty of ventilation.  They're not 'baseball specific', but they are certainly multi-functional.  They're comfortable, and they look decent.   

ugg-australia-black-fluff-shearling-fur-flip-flop-slipper-product-0-555472616-normal.jpeg

Still a clown. Love it!  Keep firing. 

MadMax    1,215
6 hours ago, slo8140 said:

Looking for some feedback. Maybe from guys that work a lot of travel ball on turf fields. I am going to an umpire clinic in Oklahoma this summer where we will work on turf. Any recommendations on some base shoes with a little ventilation. They don't need to be baseball specific, just comfortable and look decent. I have NB 950V2 that I love, but they are hot since they are leather on the top of the foot. Looking for something with a little mesh to help cool my feet down.

Provided they are clean and predominantly black and white, if your shoes ever get you a demerit by an evaluator or assigner, then that evaluator should be staked down in the dirt behind 2B for a "few" (open to interpretations) minutes during daylight hours here in Arizona, or Texas, or California, or Nebraska... or heck, anywhere. If you perseverate on wearing the polished leather shoes "of the Big League guys", you're just askin' to cook your feet in no-time-flat on a daytime game. There's no shade, no respite, no refuge from that overbearing sun.

I'll likely get several more pairs of shoes for the summer. The vast majority of guys here in Arizona wear fitness shoes, while a noticeable number of these guys (myself included) wear Nike Air Max's of some variety. It's just so damned hot here, and we're on our feet, on that hard, sunblasted ground, so much. I hardly wear my NB 950's because they are "heavy" leather and don't breathe as well as the fabric-esque fitness shoes like Nikes and UnderArmour now have. Heck, go for Skechers... who cares? As long as you keep them clean and in good condition. 

• Like 1

BrianC14    422
5 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Provided they are clean and predominantly black and white, if your shoes ever get you a demerit by an evaluator or assigner, then that evaluator should be staked down in the dirt behind 2B for a "few" (open to interpretations) minutes during daylight hours here in Arizona, or Texas, or California, or Nebraska... or heck, anywhere. If you perseverate on wearing the polished leather shoes "of the Big League guys", you're just askin' to cook your feet in no-time-flat on a daytime game. There's no shade, no respite, no refuge from that overbearing sun.

I'll likely get several more pairs of shoes for the summer. The vast majority of guys here in Arizona wear fitness shoes, while a noticeable number of these guys (myself included) wear Nike Air Max's of some variety. It's just so damned hot here, and we're on our feet, on that hard, sunblasted ground, so much. I hardly wear my NB 950's because they are "heavy" leather and don't breathe as well as the fabric-esque fitness shoes like Nikes and UnderArmour now have. Heck, go for Skechers... who cares? As long as you keep them clean and in good condition. 

A few years' back I attended a Marion Miner's (Independent League) game in Marion, IL.    An all-plastic field. It was an afternoon game, with temps about 95 degrees in the shade, humidity around 70-75%.  We could see heat waves coming off the field from our seats in the shady side of the ballpark.  I visited with the umpires after the game.  The guy working the plate said he'd lost nearly 10 pounds.  The base guy was nearly melting into the plastic turf.   

So yeah, add Marion, IL to your list of places to stake out those that 'ding' someone for looking for a 1/2 ounce of comfort on such days.  

conbo61    618
1 hour ago, Majordave said:

Still a clown. Love it!  Keep firing. 

A Major Dave sighting!!

How are you feeling?  Season going well?

kylehutson    296
10 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

How about these?

If you're going to go that far, why not go all-out?

10001_001_ALT140.jpeg

• Like 1

BrianC14    422
1 hour ago, kylehutson said:

If you're going to go that far, why not go all-out?

10001_001_ALT140.jpeg

Nice.   And better in the rain and mud than the fuzzy ones. 

• Like 1

conbo61    618
6 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

Nice.   And better in the rain and mud than the fuzzy ones. 

And you can bling them out for tournament season...

crocs-kids-crocbling-clog-black-fun-sparkling-midsole-band-and-jibbitz-on-these-bling-crocbands-p684-2466_image.jpg

• Like 2

Majordave    1,571

@conbo61  @BrianC14

Hi Guys,

im doing well. Not umpiring much right now. In Southern AZ teaching leadership skills, tools and techniques to Army Civilians. 

Caught a couple of AZ Wildcats baseball games in Tucson last week and a D-Backs game in PHX this past Saturday. Also met up with @MadMax and watched him work a couple of field innings  and a couple of plate innings during a 14's tourney at Papago Park in PHX then had a beer or two with him and @KenBAZ at a sports bar in downtime PHX after the D-Backs game. Love meeting other members and sharing stories. 

Thanks for asking. 

@BrianC14  I may be in either Denver or CO Springs area for a short bit this Friday or Sunday if you're gonna be around.  Not sure if plans yet. See below. 

@kylejt  I am considering coming to SanDiego this Friday and catching a Padres game spending the night and then hanging around a few hours on Saturday before heading north to LA to catch a Dodgers game on Saturday night. If you're gonna be around let me know. 

@grayhawk  @Kevin Finnerty Will either of you be around and want to catch a Dodgers game Saturday? 

Nothing final yet but fleshing out my week depending on several factors.

edit: any other San Diego or LA area members who are available to meet up on Friday or Saturday  let me know.  

• Like 2

grayhawk    3,141

Hi Dave - sounds like a great trip!  Unfortunately, I have a game on Saturday morning and then have to put in some hours working my new business to get caught up.  If you are around OC and want to get together for a beer, let's get together.

• Like 2