Hot Weather Base Shoe

slo8140
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2506 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Looking for some feedback. Maybe from guys that work a lot of travel ball on turf fields. I am going to an umpire clinic in Oklahoma this summer where we will work on turf. Any recommendations on some base shoes with a little ventilation. They don't need to be baseball specific, just comfortable and look decent. I have NB 950V2 that I love, but they are hot since they are leather on the top of the foot. Looking for something with a little mesh to help cool my feet down.

Thanks.

https://www.modells.com/product/under_armour_ultimate_turf_mens_baseball_trainer-1292146-001.do

I got a pair of these recently. We only have one turf field in my parts, so I can't comment on that, but they have a nice mix of "leather" and mesh. The strip around the toe cap is a high gloss. I got them for base shoes because I thought they looked good (I'm in the "I like white on my base shoes" camp), and am not a big fan of NB base shoes. I got them at Modells.com for $59.99. I haven't worn them yet, so I can't say how comfortable they are, but I don't usually have trouble with shoes, so I'm sure they are fine. 

1 hour ago, blue32 said:

https://www.modells.com/product/under_armour_ultimate_turf_mens_baseball_trainer-1292146-001.do

I got a pair of these recently. We only have one turf field in my parts, so I can't comment on that, but they have a nice mix of "leather" and mesh. The strip around the toe cap is a high gloss. I got them for base shoes because I thought they looked good (I'm in the "I like white on my base shoes" camp), and am not a big fan of NB base shoes. I got them at Modells.com for $59.99. I haven't worn them yet, so I can't say how comfortable they are, but I don't usually have trouble with shoes, so I'm sure they are fine. 

My local academy has those was going to go try on a pair today.

5 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

How about these?

They're black, so you'd have the standard look.

Plenty of ventilation.  They're not 'baseball specific', but they are certainly multi-functional.  They're comfortable, and they look decent.   

:o

ugg-australia-black-fluff-shearling-fur-flip-flop-slipper-product-0-555472616-normal.jpeg

Still a clown. Love it!  Keep firing. 

6 hours ago, slo8140 said:

Looking for some feedback. Maybe from guys that work a lot of travel ball on turf fields. I am going to an umpire clinic in Oklahoma this summer where we will work on turf. Any recommendations on some base shoes with a little ventilation. They don't need to be baseball specific, just comfortable and look decent. I have NB 950V2 that I love, but they are hot since they are leather on the top of the foot. Looking for something with a little mesh to help cool my feet down.

Provided they are clean and predominantly black and white, if your shoes ever get you a demerit by an evaluator or assigner, then that evaluator should be staked down in the dirt behind 2B for a "few" (open to interpretations) minutes during daylight hours here in Arizona, or Texas, or California, or Nebraska... or heck, anywhere. If you perseverate on wearing the polished leather shoes "of the Big League guys", you're just askin' to cook your feet in no-time-flat on a daytime game. There's no shade, no respite, no refuge from that overbearing sun.

I'll likely get several more pairs of shoes for the summer. The vast majority of guys here in Arizona wear fitness shoes, while a noticeable number of these guys (myself included) wear Nike Air Max's of some variety. It's just so damned hot here, and we're on our feet, on that hard, sunblasted ground, so much. I hardly wear my NB 950's because they are "heavy" leather and don't breathe as well as the fabric-esque fitness shoes like Nikes and UnderArmour now have. Heck, go for Skechers... who cares? As long as you keep them clean and in good condition. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Provided they are clean and predominantly black and white, if your shoes ever get you a demerit by an evaluator or assigner, then that evaluator should be staked down in the dirt behind 2B for a "few" (open to interpretations) minutes during daylight hours here in Arizona, or Texas, or California, or Nebraska... or heck, anywhere. If you perseverate on wearing the polished leather shoes "of the Big League guys", you're just askin' to cook your feet in no-time-flat on a daytime game. There's no shade, no respite, no refuge from that overbearing sun.

I'll likely get several more pairs of shoes for the summer. The vast majority of guys here in Arizona wear fitness shoes, while a noticeable number of these guys (myself included) wear Nike Air Max's of some variety. It's just so damned hot here, and we're on our feet, on that hard, sunblasted ground, so much. I hardly wear my NB 950's because they are "heavy" leather and don't breathe as well as the fabric-esque fitness shoes like Nikes and UnderArmour now have. Heck, go for Skechers... who cares? As long as you keep them clean and in good condition. 

A few years' back I attended a Marion Miner's (Independent League) game in Marion, IL.    An all-plastic field. It was an afternoon game, with temps about 95 degrees in the shade, humidity around 70-75%.  We could see heat waves coming off the field from our seats in the shady side of the ballpark.  I visited with the umpires after the game.  The guy working the plate said he'd lost nearly 10 pounds.  The base guy was nearly melting into the plastic turf.   

So yeah, add Marion, IL to your list of places to stake out those that 'ding' someone for looking for a 1/2 ounce of comfort on such days.  

10 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

How about these?

They're black, so you'd have the standard look.

Plenty of ventilation.  They're not 'baseball specific', but they are certainly multi-functional.  They're comfortable, and they look decent.   

:o

ugg-australia-black-fluff-shearling-fur-flip-flop-slipper-product-0-555472616-normal.jpeg

If you're going to go that far, why not go all-out?

10001_001_ALT140.jpeg

• Like 1

@conbo61  @BrianC14

Hi Guys,

im doing well. Not umpiring much right now. In Southern AZ teaching leadership skills, tools and techniques to Army Civilians. 

Caught a couple of AZ Wildcats baseball games in Tucson last week and a D-Backs game in PHX this past Saturday. Also met up with @MadMax and watched him work a couple of field innings  and a couple of plate innings during a 14's tourney at Papago Park in PHX then had a beer or two with him and @KenBAZ at a sports bar in downtime PHX after the D-Backs game. Love meeting other members and sharing stories. 

Thanks for asking. 

@BrianC14  I may be in either Denver or CO Springs area for a short bit this Friday or Sunday if you're gonna be around.  Not sure if plans yet. See below. 

@kylejt  I am considering coming to SanDiego this Friday and catching a Padres game spending the night and then hanging around a few hours on Saturday before heading north to LA to catch a Dodgers game on Saturday night. If you're gonna be around let me know. 

@grayhawk  @Kevin Finnerty Will either of you be around and want to catch a Dodgers game Saturday? 

Nothing final yet but fleshing out my week depending on several factors.

edit: any other San Diego or LA area members who are available to meet up on Friday or Saturday  let me know.  

• Like 2

Hi Dave - sounds like a great trip!  Unfortunately, I have a game on Saturday morning and then have to put in some hours working my new business to get caught up.  If you are around OC and want to get together for a beer, let's get together.

• Like 2