Oh... No He Didn't. Oh Yes He Did.

ElkOil
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2528 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I worked a men's game with a young, fairly new umpire. Someday I believe he'll be quite good since he has a decent basic skill set. But for right now, he needs a lot of work in certain areas like timing and on-field communication... the stuff we all need to work on. So I'm thinking of things to post-game with him and figured I'd only mention three or four things that seemed like they'd be easiest and yield the biggest improvements.

And then the game ended. I grabbed my water bottle, and was looking around for him. Where the heck did he go?

Then I saw him. He had fallen in behind one team in their high-five line and was giving congratulatory handshakes and fist bumps just like one of the players.

For any umpires out there who have done this or think it's a good idea, please learn from this example and never ever do it.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, ElkOil said:

I worked a men's game with a young, fairly new umpire. Someday I believe he'll be quite good since he has a decent basic skill set. But for right now, he needs a lot of work in certain areas like timing and on-field communication... the stuff we all need to work on. So I'm thinking of things to post-game with him and figured I'd only mention three or four things that seemed like they'd be easiest and yield the biggest improvements.

And then the game ended. I grabbed my water bottle, and was looking around for him. Where the heck did he go?

Then I saw him. He had fallen in behind one team in their high-five line and was giving congratulatory handshakes and fist bumps just like one of the players.

For any umpires out there who have done this or think it's a good idea, please learn from this example and never ever do it.

Did he know a bunch of the players?

Ugh, that sucks. Sucks more when you're working with an old school guy that you know is going to do this. 

I know, walk off and leave him, but I firmly believe that you never, EVER leave your wingman. So I just hang out there and wait for him to congratulate everyone.