Register or Sign In to remove these ads
tpatience

New way to get games

tpatience    167

A friend of mine has started a new way to basically have coaches book umpires on their own. Text from my friend: Right now it's just a registration platform for the scheduling website we are launching soon. It's basically an Umpire hiring service that cuts out the assigner. So a coach can directly book umpires. 

http://umphire.org/?r=VG7LAL

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
scrounge    1,127

Uber for Umpires! I didn't check it out in depth, but in theory it's intriguing, but not sure in practice. Will coaches just pick the same good ole boys they always get? First come first serve? Will umps start (increase) solicitation? In TX high school football, coaches essentially pick the refs. I'd rather not adopt that model, even with a tech boost.

Mudisfun    399

This could be interesting but I have a few questions:

* Does the umpire get to set the rates they are willing to work for or is this directed by the coaches/hiring group?

* How does the service get paid? Hiring entity or the umpire?

* How does this benefit the coaches/umpire? Typically I am paying the assignor, not the teams. If the teams pay the fee for the service I guess this is a win for me but if I am paying a fee for games assigned how is this any different than working for folks who I am already paying a fee to for the same games?

* If an official has an issue with a team... don't like a call, arguing, they don't like the Navy Blue (@MadMax I put this is for you) shirt color... whatever... is there any protection in place for the official to keep them from being black balled?

* Do the coaches think they are going to get different or better officials? Seems most of the same guys work for the same assignors so I would be shocked if there was suddenly a whole new flock of umpires crawling out from under rocks to pick up games.

tpatience    167
24 minutes ago, Mudisfun said:

* Does the umpire get to set the rates they are willing to work for or is this directed by the coaches/hiring group?

* How does this benefit the coaches/umpire? Typically I am paying the assignor, not the teams. If the teams pay the fee for the service I guess this is a win for me but if I am paying a fee for games assigned how is this any different than working for folks who I am already paying a fee to for the same games?

* If an official has an issue with a team... don't like a call, arguing, they don't like the Navy Blue (@MadMax I put this is for you) shirt color... whatever... is there any protection in place for the official to keep them from being black balled?

* Do the coaches think they are going to get different or better officials? Seems most of the same guys work for the same assignors so I would be shocked if there was suddenly a whole new flock of umpires crawling out from under rocks to pick up games.

I can't answer those questions. I'm sure when it is launched, it will be figured out

ElkOil    694

I can't imagine this will be a good idea in practice since it is eminently corruptible and ripe for cronyism. There are a number of reasons why having an association and assignor are good ideas, not the least of which is it's a centrally managed model employing people who have a number of umpires at their disposal and can make changes to schedules fairly quickly.

Also, if this undercuts an existing association that has some recognized or agreed-upon structure in place, they'll no longer make any money. Seems like a lawsuit wouldn't be far behind if doing this adversely affects the status quo and violates existing agreements.

• Like 1

Matt    1,194
On 5/12/2017 at 0:24 PM, tpatience said:

I can't answer those questions. I'm sure when it is launched, it will be figured out

According to 47% of USAns, that's how you pick a President.

• Like 3

gnhbua93    989

@tpatience is promoting this because he wants to win the Wilson aluminum masks that they are giving away, to the umpire who has the most friends sign in.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

udbrky    240
52 minutes ago, gnhbua93 said:

@tpatience is promoting this because he wants to win the Wilson aluminum masks that they are giving away, to the umpire who has the most friends sign in.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game

I thought this said way to get to the game.

I agree - need an independent source, not connected to the game. I'll stick to the way things go here - assigners and arbiter. So easy.

Aging_Arbiter    612

Definitely setting it up for a "good ole' boy" network, or as some refer to it, the "hometown ump".

scrounge    1,127
18 hours ago, gnhbua93 said:

hmm, that makes this a little more 'spammy' if true

tpatience    167
17 hours ago, gnhbua93 said:

That couldn't be more untrue. I have had a wilson aluminum before and didn't like it. I don't need a new mask as I already have a wilson titanium and a Nike titanium. I just think it could possibly be a good idea and sharing it on an umpire website is the best way to get it out there

Mudisfun    399

So the guy starting this service up apparently is in my HS association and decided to use his access to the members list to spam all of us over the weekend. Needless to say this did not go over very well with, well pretty much the entire membership. Not a stellar start for his service considering...

rdimascio    2

Hey guys,

Ryan DiMascio here, the guy with this crazy idea.

Although, I'm not sure if:

On 5/12/2017 at 9:31 AM, tpatience said:

It's basically an Umpire hiring service that cuts out the assigner.

is the best explanation for it. But any publicity is good publicity, right? All kidding aside, thanks for the shout out, @tpatience

Anyways, sorry I'm late to the thread. Obviously, some things need to be cleared up; so here goes nothing:

The best way I've found to explain Ump Hire is a "Linkedin for umpires", where the primary function is - to create an umpire network as a means to solving some of the umpire community's main problems: recruiting more members, recruiting younger members, training, and evaluating.

We are not trying to disrupt the current system or get the way of "the powers that be" (i.e. assigners, associations, and arbiter). Why fix what ain't broke?

We are simply trying to make everyone's lives easier: help umpires get assigned to more games, help assigners find more umpires, help associations and organizations recruit and train umpires, and help coaches book umpires for last minute pick-up games and scrimmages.

Ultimately, we would like to hook into the Arbiter API and be able to make everyone's lives easier by doing the little easy things that Arbiter refuses to fix like syncing your game schedule with your iCal or Google Calendar, sending you a push notifications 2 hours before a game, etc. Basically, I want to improve the quality of life for umpires.

Thanks for the questions, @Mudisfun I'll assume they all pertain to the "on-demand" part of the platform where coaches can book an umpire for a pick-up game or scrimmage.

We're still trying to get as much feedback as possible before we say for sure one way or the other, but I'll do my best.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:01 AM, Mudisfun said:

1. The umpires set their own rates.

2. The service is completely free to use for umpires and coaches.

3. This benefits umpires because they get more games.

4. Please elaborate.

5. There are many umpires that fly under the radar, which is why assignors are always looking for more guys.

And to address the elephant in the room:

On 5/15/2017 at 9:23 AM, Mudisfun said:

So the guy starting this service up apparently is in my HS association and decided to use his access to the members list to spam all of us over the weekend. Needless to say this did not go over very well with, well pretty much the entire membership. Not a stellar start for his service considering...

I was in no way intending to "spam" anyone.

Assignors do the same thing when they have games, so I thought to myself, "hey, this is just a platform to help guys get more games... What's the worst that could happen?"

• Like 1

tpatience    167
1 hour ago, rdimascio said:

Hey guys,

is the best explanation for it. But any publicity is good publicity, right? All kidding aside, thanks for the shout out, @tpatience

Anyways, sorry I'm late to the thread. Obviously, some things need to be cleared up; so here goes nothing:

The best way I've found to explain Ump Hire is a "Linkedin for umpires", where the primary function is - to create an umpire network as a means to solving some of the umpire community's main problems: recruiting more members, recruiting younger members, training, and evaluating.

We are not trying to disrupt the current system or get the way of "the powers that be" (i.e. assigners, associations, and arbiter). Why fix what ain't broke?

We are simply trying to make everyone's lives easier: help umpires get assigned to more games, help assigners find more umpires, help associations and organizations recruit and train umpires, and help coaches book umpires for last minute pick-up games and scrimmages.

Ultimately, we would like to hook into the Arbiter API and be able to make everyone's lives easier by doing the little easy things that Arbiter refuses to fix like syncing your game schedule with your iCal or Google Calendar, sending you a push notifications 2 hours before a game, etc. Basically, I want to improve the quality of life for umpires.

Thanks for the questions, @Mudisfun I'll assume they all pertain to the "on-demand" part of the platform where coaches can book an umpire for a pick-up game or scrimmage.

We're still trying to get as much feedback as possible before we say for sure one way or the other, but I'll do my best.

4. Please elaborate.

5. There are many umpires that fly under the radar, which is why assignors are always looking for more guys.

Assignors do the same thing when they have games, so I thought to myself, "hey, this is just a platform to help guys get more games... What's the worst that could happen?"

Just an fyi, I didn't pull what I said out of nowhere. That's what Payne told me

ElkOil    694
1 hour ago, rdimascio said:

Hey guys,

4. Please elaborate.

18 minutes ago, tpatience said:

Just an fyi, I didn't pull what I said out of nowhere. That's what Payne told me

You guys realize this is coming across as a coordinated spam effort, don't you?

• Like 1

rdimascio    2
24 minutes ago, ElkOil said:

Not at all.

People had questions and I answered them.

Are you accusing me of "posting senseless, vacuous, or empty messages to gain a higher post count, or just to annoy others"?

• Like 1

bluejersey    10
3 hours ago, rdimascio said:

I like the idea, but I already do this with Arbiter.

tpatience    167
5 hours ago, ElkOil said:

I don't agree with that at all. I personally think it's a good idea. 

Aging_Arbiter    612

Or did you mean?

Image result for monty python spam meme

Not an opinion of mine, I just took the opportunity to insert a lite Monty Python...............

• Like 1

KenBAZ    377

I'm for anything that would make it easier for people who want to umpire to be trained, evaluated and connected with assignors. Too often access to games is a matter of who you know. The result can be too many or too few games for a particular umpire. Both can lead to dissatisfaction and burnout. I depend on Arbiter to run my business but I see this as a way to augment Arbiter not replace it. Unsolicited emails might not be the best way to get this rolling but on the other hand, UE and this membership along with a opt in on site would seem like the perfect place to start.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

BrianC14    422
1 hour ago, KenBAZ said:

I'm for anything that would make it easier for people who want to umpire to be trained, evaluated and connected with assignors. Too often access to games is a matter of who you know. The result can be too many or too few games for a particular umpire. Both can lead to dissatisfaction and burnout. I depend on Arbiter to run my business but I see this as a way to augment Arbiter not replace it. Unsolicited emails might not be the best way to get this rolling but on the other hand, UE and this membership along with a opt in on site would seem like the perfect place to start.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

The problem also comes with abuse of the individual's information. 

I routinely get broadcast emails from assignors who just can't resist the temptation to copy and paste email addresses and telephone numbers for their own uses.

Aging_Arbiter    612
7 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

The problem also comes with abuse of the individual's information. 

I routinely get broadcast emails from assignors who just can't resist the temptation to copy and paste email addresses and telephone numbers for their own uses.

:sarcasm:.....................because 7 years of bad luck will befall you if you do not forward this email to 35 people in the next 10 minutes.............

• Like 1

Minnz    47

Technically, most states the coaches/schools can do this already. Most states don't actually require an assigner. Most are solicited and do sign with an assigner for ease. Some states do require an assigner assigned by the state. Will be interesting for the states with not controlling parts if something like this takes off.