Female umpire hired to work Gulf Coast League

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2512 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody touching this with a 9 foot pole.

Ok

Let me know when the article says "Female-umpire-begins-journey-in-Major College-D1-Baseball Conference(Conference games on weekends, not non-Conference schedule). Or same quote for Major D1 Basketball Conference.

They already have a D1 feeder system for women officials with D1 Women's Softball and Basketball, to then move over to the men's game. Plenty of men work in D1 women's Major Conference softball and basketball also.

13 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

Let me know when the article says "Female-umpire-begins-journey-in-Major College-D1-Baseball Conference(Conference games on weekends, not non-Conference schedule). Or same quote for Major D1 Basketball Conference.

You didn't mention football, but Amanda Sauer is positioned to become a D1 crew chief in the B1G.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19254591/the-rapid-remarkable-rise-college-football-official-amanda-sauer

I think most people, including myself, wish Emma all the best. 

It's not an easy road for anyone man or woman. 

Also in my opinion, I would see no issues with women working a major D-1 Baseball or Basketball conference. But baseball is a bigger hurdle just because there appears to be so little interest in women taking the baseball route. 

Further, there are a significant number of women refs in the collegiate women's basketball, I would contend that you could take the top ranked women's basketball refs and they would do fine in the ACC or other basketball powerhouse conferences. But the same couldn't be done between Softball (where there are more female umps) and baseball as they are very different sports. 

Adding to that what I mentioned about the road not being easy. Most college level officials get to return home frequently, where once you enter the MiLB system, you're pretty much on the road the whole season. 

11 hours ago, maven said:

You didn't mention football, but Amanda Sauer is positioned to become a D1 crew chief in the B1G.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19254591/the-rapid-remarkable-rise-college-football-official-amanda-sauer

Good for her and yes, great start for Emma in MiLB.

But"""" here was a former phrase used in a situation.

"She claimed that an umpire supervisor for the majors once said publicly that a woman would have to be twice as good as a man to work in the majors, and that clubs would have to provide separate dressing facilities to hire female umpires and that would be too expensive".

+++++++++++

I would imagine that in litigation circumstances this comment above would not be very wise, nor just, not just in the situation above but in anything with anybody in life.

And here is the one used in the above football article. Yes, I loved the article, but???????

Does she have the capability? Yes. Is she getting better every year? Yes. Does she fit in and do the right things on and off the field with the crew? Yes," Carollo said. "Now, are you better than the next guy? You've got to be a little bit better than the next guy because people are going to say she got it just because she's a woman.

Not a good comment to make IMHO. IMHO this is telling women, or any other entity that the man will be chosen "every single time" all things being "equal", rather than the women getting the job with the same talent level for some of the job openings. And, once again, this could be said about any competitive situation with all types of circumstances, but that when things are equal, one specific entity type always wins the day in an "equal situation" while the other entities always lose. That is not a good situation.

I wish I had not read that.

I'm not sure the person quoted was endorsing or advocating different treatment, just recognizing the "reality" of it. It reminds me of the crap that Jackie Robinson had to endure. No human being should be subject to that.