Register or Sign In to remove these ads
just asking

Little League Catcher to Pitcher rules

Question

just asking    0

In the Major League in Little League, the rule says if you catch 4 innings, you cant pitch.

An opponent of ours last night had their catcher catch the first 3 innings, then pitch, then went back to catch more innings.

Is that legal?

or is it OK since he caught 3 before pitching & not 4?

or is it ILLEGAL since he caught more than 4 in a game & still pitched.

Thanks for any info you can offer

11 answers to this question

rjdakin    24

A catcher can not pitch after catching for 4 innings. A pitcher can not become a catcher after throwing 41 pitches. If the catcher did not throw 41 or more pitches there is no rule stopping him from going back to the catcher position. Your local league bylaws could supersede this rule as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
just asking    0
2 minutes ago, rjdakin said:

A catcher can not pitch after catching for 4 innings. A pitcher can not become a catcher after throwing 41 pitches. If the catcher did not throw 41 or more pitches there is no rule stopping him from going back to the catcher position. Your local league bylaws could supersede this rule as well.

In our case, the catcher caught for innings 1 thru 3, then went in to pitch in inning 4, then back to catching for innings 5 & 6.

Is that legal?

Or is the rule that you cant catch for 4 innings or more, as well as pitch in the same game.

rjdakin    24

As long as he didn't pitch 41 or more pitches in that inning he is legally allowed to resume the catcher position.

Rich Ives    956
38 minutes ago, rjdakin said:

Only if more restrictive.

rzanew    0

This is one of the loopholes in the restriction.  It is legal according to the Little League rules (actually in the Regulations).

Guest DavisB   
Guest DavisB
On 5/9/2017 at 7:51 AM, rzanew said:

This is one of the loopholes in the restriction.  It is legal according to the Little League rules (actually in the Regulations).

@rzanew Do you know where in the regulations?

Guest DavisB   
Guest DavisB

@Rich Ives - Thank you. I see the <4 inning limit in Reg VI(a). I see the 40 pitch limit in Reg VI(c) note. Was curious about the original comment that the 'loophole was actually in the regulations'. I don't see cater to pitcher to catcher being expressly limited anywhere as long as you are inside the above guidelines.

beerguy55    180
15 minutes ago, Guest DavisB said:

@Rich Ives - Thank you. I see the <4 inning limit in Reg VI(a). I see the 40 pitch limit in Reg VI(c) note. Was curious about the original comment that the 'loophole was actually in the regulations'. I don't see cater to pitcher to catcher being expressly limited anywhere as long as you are inside the above guidelines.

By definition loopholes aren't in regulations, they are left unsaid in regulations - that's why they're loopholes.  As worded the rules create a loophole that implicitly allows the situation in the OP to occur.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.