Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wolfe_man

Honig's Navy Lightweight Mask with Tan Calfskin Pads

18 posts in this topic

I purchased one of these to wear with my navy OHSAA uniforms.  I cannot tell you how much I like this mask! 

The pads are amazing.  Sit high up against my cheekbones but do not impair vision in any way.   They're cool to wear (not hot) and they don't stick to my face (or stubble) at all.  I try to be fresh-shaven, but my five o'clock shadow won't stick to these pads. 

Overall, the mask is very comfortable, light to wear, and looks great too.  It even has an extra bar on top of the mask to protect the top of my head. All this for only $39.99!

If you were on the fence with this one, I wholly recommend.

PS - I'll try to post a photo of the product soon. For some reason, Honig's doesn't have the photo on their site.

IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

2 people like this

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

I took notice of this listing on their site but was wary of ordering without being able to see it 1st...I look forward to seeing your pics. I have to ask...is this mask the reason your All Star FM4000 ended up on the selling block?

21 minutes ago, ofhs93 said:

I took notice of this listing on their site but was wary of ordering without being able to see it 1st...I look forward to seeing your pics. I have to ask...is this mask the reason your All Star FM4000 ended up on the selling block?

Yes, sir, it is.  I needed a navy harness anyhow, so that was $6.99 plus shipping was another $7-8... so I figured I may as well go ahead and get the mask and take a shot.  To my joy - it was great!

I'll get a pic out there tonight when I get home. I promise.

1 person likes this

Any idea what it weighs in at? Looking at possibly picking up a 2nd mask for backup....I'm doing more games than I initially thought would be the case lol....plus the oldest son might be doing some next year.

It's not as light as the All Star, but it's not heavy at all. I'd estimate maybe 18-22 oz.  We have a scale at work, I'll try to get it weighed this week.

Don't go crazy lol....but that's a good estimate to work with. Now I have to decide if I want to spend the $50 with the shipping ect lol....I suppose I really should....just wish they had some more decent deals currently to help split the shipping cost up a bit between multiple items...hate paying 25% of the cost of the item in shipping.

Honigs still has the best leather pads............On my navy HS rig, I replaced the +POS foam pads with Team Wendy Pads........ then sold the Team Wendy pads and replaced them with a set of Navy Honigs pads........never happier..... 

1 person likes this

Here's the nutty thing... That mask that @wolfe_man took and posted photos of is, from all appearances is the Honig's Pro Line Single Bar mask, catalog number K9x (the "x" changes according to which pads are put in). The K9x ranges from $59 to $76, depending on which pads you elect to include. The mask is characterized by a hollow-steel, single tube construction, full-bowl half-sphere profile, with crown-guard extension, big ear guards, and a brief, squared chin guard. It is available in black, navy or silver. It's also available as the frame only (catalog number K4) for $39.

Lacking a photo in the catalog, the "Navy Lightweight Mask with Tan Calfskin Pads" (catalog number K81NT) sounds like an incredible bargain at $39. If this truly is the one Wolfe bought, on sale, then he's got himself one really good mask at a steal. So what if it's navy??!! That's (still) ideal for most of the states in the Union (Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan, Virginia, etc. all included!!). Maybe that's why it's on sale! It's navy! And every manufacturer knows that navy is (or should be) on the way out!

1 person likes this

Hi @MadMax the bag the mask came in actually says K4/NY.  I think it's only discounted due to the color as well.  I'm thinking about getting one in black now.  It just fits my face really well. 

Ugh...you guys are twisting my arm on this lol....must fight the urge haha.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, midtnump said:

So what was the weight of the mask??

Okay, I went down and weighed it.  

With pads and harness - mask weights in at 1.5 lbs. 

I'm estimating pads at about 0.3 to 0.4 lbs and the harness should be about the same so it's a lightweight hollow steel mask. 

Still a little heavy compared to the AS 4000, but still nice. Looks like a good mask. I just tried  Honigs pads last year, They are my only and favorite leather pad, and my #2 overall. 

My mask came with a navy harness, so don't buy a navy one (an additional $7) in addition.

I'm not crazy about the velcro tabs on the pads--they seem a little cheap.

And the bag that came along for the mask--I'll use that as a shoe bag.

I have this mask in black with the tan pads. I didn't like the harness so I switched it out for with the harness from my Extended Throat Guard Umpire Mask I bought from RefShop way back when I first started. That mask weighed a ton, but I still love the harness!

This mask is amazing! Not only is it incredibly lightweight, but the pads are very comfortable. They cover from my chin to my lower lip as well as my cheekbones. It's not hot under there, though, and the flat pads act as a bed for the lower portion of my face. It also absorbs impact tremendously. I've taken countless foul balls to the face in the three years I've had this mask and can barely feel a thing. Other than my old harness I've attached a sun visor and throat guard to the mask with ease. Five stars!

1 person likes this