Foul tip question

Guest John Q
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2517 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest John Q

I was up hitting count was 2-2 ball comes up and in (not a strike) I check swing and foul tip the ball. The umpire called me out on a foul tip. Is that the right call or would I have had to swing to make it a foul tip. (The umpire said I did not swing and checked it in time).

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

From what you're describing...

Did the pitched ball hit the bat? Yes.

Did it go directly to the catcher's glove, where it was caught? Yes (as that is the definition of a Foul Tip).

A foul ball does not necessarily have to be a swing. The bat can be on your shoulder as you duck away from a high pitch, make contact with the ball, and it's considered a batted ball, subject to being declared Fair or Foul. So too, if you pull your bat back during a bunt attempt (for example), but the ball is popped up off the bat and caught in Foul Territory by the catcher, you're still out. If a batted ball (so a pitched ball that has made contact with the bat) goes directly to the catcher's glove and is caught, that is a Foul Tip, ball remains live, and if Strike 3, is an Out.

Correct call, foul tip, strike 3. 

A FOUL TIP is a batted ball that goes sharp and direct from the bat to the catcher’s hands and is legally caught. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play. It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball has first touched the catcher’s glove or hand.

53 minutes ago, Guest John Q said:

I was up hitting count was 2-2 ball comes up and in (not a strike) I check swing and foul tip the ball. The umpire called me out on a foul tip. Is that the right call or would I have had to swing to make it a foul tip. (The umpire said I did not swing and checked it in time).

Surely you've seen the ball hit the bat on a checked swing and go fair (and the batter try for first, etc.) -- or even the ball hit the bat when the batter was trying to get out of the way of the pitch and the ball go fair (or be a foul ball).  Some concept in your play.  It's a strike.

Was watching one of my instructors work the plate at an LL Intermediate level game. 2 strikes. Ball comes in high and at the batter. He ducks with the bat straight up, ball ticks off the bat and into the catcher's glove. Strike 3, he's out.