Jump to content

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
JSam21

Nutty Buddy Question

Recommended Posts

JSam21    112

I just bought a Nutty Buddy cup and short combo... I was wondering if I needed to by the jock to go with it or does the cup go into the compression shorts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Stk004    599

I use the jock. I thought that was it's intended use but I could be wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kylehutson    296

Use the jock that comes with it.

My layers are:
- Briefs
- Compression Pants
- NB with jock
- Pants

The NB is made to "float" rather than press next to the body like a traditional cup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stk004    599
4 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

Use the jock that comes with it.

My layers are:
- Briefs
- Compression Pants
- NB with jock
- Pants

The NB is made to "float" rather than press next to the body like a traditional cub

I've always put my compression pants over the NB. Maybe I'll try it your way this weekend. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
midtnump    93
6 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

Use the jock that comes with it.

My layers are:
- Briefs
- Compression Pants
- NB with jock
- Pants

The NB is made to "float" rather than press next to the body like a traditional cub

+1. I have found this setup to be the most comfortable. I took the one in a million shot last year when one came off the bat handle straight down and just above the NB and chipped my pelvic bone. Hurt like hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrianC14    422
1 hour ago, JSam21 said:

I just bought a Nutty Buddy cup and short combo... I was wondering if I needed to by the jock to go with it or does the cup go into the compression shorts?

If you bought the cup / compression short package, I believe that the NB compression shorts have a specially designed pouch for the cup.   No need for a jock with their compression shorts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JSam21    112
2 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

If you bought the cup / compression short package, I believe that the NB compression shorts have a specially designed pouch for the cup.   No need for a jock with their compression shorts.

Perfect... Thank you and saves me some cash for some poly spandex pants

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrianC14    422
14 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

Perfect... Thank you and saves me some cash for some poly spandex pants

 

Now, about the matter of my fee..... :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JSam21    112
6 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

Now, about the matter of my fee..... :)

 

Ahh yes... first round is on me :cheers:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrianC14    422

I wrote to the good folks at NB to inquire if they plan to offer full leggings with the NB cup pouch.  Hopefully they will add to the line.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KenBAZ    377

Guys, since​ I wear compression tights on the field at all times I just use an inexpensive jock over my tights with the Nutty Buddy in between when I'm behind the plate. Never a problem in literally thousands of games wearing the Nutty Buddy. NB is the best, a better design and execution then anything else.

 

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMax    1,215
7 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

I wrote to the good folks at NB to inquire if they plan to offer full leggings with the NB cup pouch.  Hopefully they will add to the line.

I'd be all for it. I've used nothing but Nike Pro Combat Slider Shorts w/ pouch as this has been the only line of compression shorts – from the typical major brands – that the Nutty Buddy fits into. You can forget UnderArmour, the NB does not fit at all. 

My most recent purchase has been for Nike Pro Hyperstrong Slider tights. They go down to mid-shin, but they do include additional padding blocks stitched in at the knees. This is ideal for players, but annoying for catchers and umpires, since we already are wearing full-coverage, robust shinguards. I'm on the verge of slicing out the padding. The tights help in two ways: 1) the tops of the knees are covered, so if you go HOK (like I do a lot), then it reduces the bleed-through of sweat and salt from your hands thru the pants to your legs and vice versa, 2) it reduces your dependence on knee-high or OTK socks, enabling you to use crew-cut, which are more plentiful and less expensive.

The primary reason I'm an advocate of the big brands is because of their saturation in outlets and eBay. I'm all for getting the Battle (NB's maker) shorts and tights, but if I can find 2 (or sometimes 3!) Nike Sliders at the outlets and on discount racks for the same retail price as 1 Battle... hmm... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thunderheads    2,360
17 hours ago, MadMax said:

I'd be all for it. I've used nothing but Nike Pro Combat Slider Shorts w/ pouch as this has been the only line of compression shorts – from the typical major brands – that the Nutty Buddy fits into. You can forget UnderArmour, the NB does not fit at all. 

My most recent purchase has been for Nike Pro Hyperstrong Slider tights. They go down to mid-shin, but they do include additional padding blocks stitched in at the knees. This is ideal for players, but annoying for catchers and umpires, since we already are wearing full-coverage, robust shinguards. I'm on the verge of slicing out the padding. The tights help in two ways: 1) the tops of the knees are covered, so if you go HOK (like I do a lot), then it reduces the bleed-through of sweat and salt from your hands thru the pants to your legs and vice versa, 2) it reduces your dependence on knee-high or OTK socks, enabling you to use crew-cut, which are more plentiful and less expensive.

The primary reason I'm an advocate of the big brands is because of their saturation in outlets and eBay. I'm all for getting the Battle (NB's maker) shorts and tights, but if I can find 2 (or sometimes 3!) Nike Sliders at the outlets and on discount racks for the same retail price as 1 Battle... hmm... 

so you're saying the Nike's mentioned above DO INDEED fit the NB cup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thunderheads    2,360
18 hours ago, MadMax said:

for some reason I can't just reply here without it quoting Max .... sometimes this site doesn't make sense

Anyhow ....

I wear moisture wicking / "sport" boxer briefs when I have games .... 

Jock goes over top for NB

then I wear tights over that ...

my inquiry however is this: does the Battle Compression shorts hold the NB in place well?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richvee    1,724
14 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

 

Anyhow ....

I wear moisture wicking / "sport" boxer briefs when I have games .... 

Jock goes over top for NB

then I wear tights over that ...

 

Been wearing it this way for years...No intention of changing. The comfort level and protection cannot be matched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrianC14    422
14 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

for some reason I can't just reply here without it quoting Max .... sometimes this site doesn't make sense

Anyhow ....

I wear moisture wicking / "sport" boxer briefs when I have games .... 

Jock goes over top for NB

then I wear tights over that ...

my inquiry however is this: does the Battle Compression shorts hold the NB in place well?

Hmmmm....  I will try this arrangement tomorrow.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ElkOil    694

I put on my pants first, 

Briefs over that

NB over that, held securely with a liberal amount of electrical tape.

Tried and true. Works like a champ.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrianC14    422
13 minutes ago, ElkOil said:

I put on my pants first, 

Briefs over that

NB over that, held securely with a liberal amount of electrical tape.

Tried and true. Works like a champ.

Oh Baloney Sandwich.   Nobody uses electrical tape for that.  It's probably duct tape. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ElkOil    694
37 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

Oh Baloney Sandwich.   Nobody uses electrical tape for that.  It's probably duct tape. 

Duct tape doesn't hold as well in the Texas heat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MadMax    1,215
1 hour ago, ElkOil said:

NB over that, held securely with a liberal amount of electrical tape.

Tried and true. Works like a champ.

 

58 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

Oh Baloney Sandwich.   Nobody uses electrical tape for that.  It's probably duct tape. 

I was about to call shenanigans too, but remembered that I use electrical tape to finish off my mask straps, as electrical tape doesn't stick to anything... except itself... and actually gets tackier the higher the heat. It makes sense... it has to insulate against some intense heat passing through the wires it is supposed to be wrapped around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
umpstu    689
On 5/4/2017 at 11:58 AM, MadMax said:

I'd be all for it. I've used nothing but Nike Pro Combat Slider Shorts w/ pouch as this has been the only line of compression shorts – from the typical major brands – that the Nutty Buddy fits into. You can forget UnderArmour, the NB does not fit at all. 

My most recent purchase has been for Nike Pro Hyperstrong Slider tights. They go down to mid-shin, but they do include additional padding blocks stitched in at the knees. This is ideal for players, but annoying for catchers and umpires, since we already are wearing full-coverage, robust shinguards. I'm on the verge of slicing out the padding. The tights help in two ways: 1) the tops of the knees are covered, so if you go HOK (like I do a lot), then it reduces the bleed-through of sweat and salt from your hands thru the pants to your legs and vice versa, 2) it reduces your dependence on knee-high or OTK socks, enabling you to use crew-cut, which are more plentiful and less expensive.

The primary reason I'm an advocate of the big brands is because of their saturation in outlets and eBay. I'm all for getting the Battle (NB's maker) shorts and tights, but if I can find 2 (or sometimes 3!) Nike Sliders at the outlets and on discount racks for the same retail price as 1 Battle... hmm... 

It actually fits fine in the McDavid with the floating cup pocket or the generic tights from btlofficialsgear.com.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ElkOil    694
2 minutes ago, MadMax said:

 

I was about to call shenanigans too, but remembered that I use electrical tape to finish off my mask straps, as electrical tape doesn't stick to anything... except itself... and actually gets tackier the higher the heat. It makes sense... it has to insulate against some intense heat passing through the wires it is supposed to be wrapped around.

The same principles are true during the hot summers we have here. Only it's not wrapped around wires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrianC14    422
On 5/5/2017 at 7:00 AM, Thunderheads said:

 

Anyhow ....

I wear moisture wicking / "sport" boxer briefs when I have games .... 

Jock goes over top for NB

then I wear tights over that ...

 

Tried this yesterday.    Fantastic results. 

Thanks for the idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fullcount32    6

After several different variations of trying the NB as described above I've decided to go with the Shock Doctor with Jock. The NBs floating design just didn't give me the confidence I needed behind the plate. I like my junk covered and secured and protected always. The NB when in the Hands on knees position for me would uncover the jewels at the bottom and when you have them uncovered gravity takes over... then they are susceptible to being crushed with contact. I found the NB with Jock outside compression to be the worst protection and the Jock and NB under compression to offer the best but still falling short to the Shock Doctor with Jock because everything stays where it should (fully encapsulated behind cup) even when down in the squat position for delivery of the ball.

That being said I have a standard "Trophy" and a flex "Mongo" Nutty buddy for sale never used in a game if anyone is interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kevin_K    523
On 5/5/2017 at 9:00 AM, Thunderheads said:

for some reason I can't just reply here without it quoting Max .... sometimes this site doesn't make sense

Anyhow ....

I wear moisture wicking / "sport" boxer briefs when I have games .... 

Jock goes over top for NB

then I wear tights over that ...

my inquiry however is this: does the Battle Compression shorts hold the NB in place well?

^^ This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×