Balk on Forward Disengagement

webspinnre
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2523 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

So, I'm pretty sure I've got this right, but coach is arguing rules interpretations with me, so wanted to verify.

Working Babe Ruth 13-15, which uses slightly modified OBR. Twice called a pitcher for a balk when he disengaged by moving his pivot foot forward rather than backwards, and then threw to a base (once to 3rd, once to 1st). So far as I am aware, there are no situations in which a pitcher is allowed to disengage forward. 5.07(a)(2) says that the three options are to pitch, throw directly to a base, or step off backwards. However, coach is arguing that because pitcher was in the stretch prior to coming set, this portion of 5.07(a)(2) does not apply. I can see how, on a very strict reading, this might be the case. Did I actually miss this one?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Nope, you have it right. "Disengaging" by stepping forward isn't actually disengaging. It's a balk. I'm not sure if it would fall under a start/stop balk or something similar, but I'd tell the coach he has to disengage off the back of the rubber. Either way, it's a balk. 

Balk. As far as the coach's "argument" goes, the pitching regulations begin when the pitcher intentionally engages the rubber. That means in any position. If he's in contact with the rubber, the regulations apply.