Signal on Out #4? (Not the 4th Out)

Radie 88
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2526 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Talking about a situation where the DT forgets how many outs there are and complete a double play with 2 outs already...

I (think I) know that you should not make the call after out #3, but I can see a situation where the fielder at 2B misses the bag ("what about the neighborhood rule, blue?") but is given the out call... Then is changed to safe either by appeal or by conference with a partner... This obviously makes out #4 at 1B really out #3... And thus, quite important. 

Does this warrant at least a silent signal? I feel like I'm definitely tracking it (chest is a magnet to ball)... But part of me feels like ignoring it completely isnt right. 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When an umpire changes a judgment call, by rule he must make any additional changes to avoid putting either team at a disadvantage. In your situation (which is just this side of a TWP), doing so could involve calling the out at 1B after the fact.

We signal to communicate our rulings, and after the third out, there is no play on which to rule. No signal.