Out in high school?

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2544 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

6 hours ago, VolUmp said:

… And Little League, and several other brands of baseball who endeavor to rid the game of fun and drama.

I think in LL it's allowed, the runner attempted to avoid contact, IIRC there is no hurdle/dive rule as in fed.

Little League: As LL generally uses OBR, this play is legal in youth ball operating under this scheme, as well as leagues that use the "slide or attempt to get around [the fielder]" language. This assumes there is no other league- or level-specific slide rule that supersedes such legality (e.g., diving a la Coghlan would be illegal in a LL that prohibits head-first slides).

Gil did a write up on this play

3 minutes ago, Mudisfun said:

LL Majors and below this is definitely an out... have to look up Intermediate and above...

Due to the "head first" nature of the dive, for Majors and below?  If so, then a hurdle would be legal, based on 7.08/

In LL for Majors and below I would go with 7.08(4) - The runner slides head first while advancing. 

This would be a judgement call of course... does hurdling which includes a diving motion as I included from the screen grab meet the definition of a head first slide? or does the definition of head first slide require contact with the ground? I think based on LL's penchant for siding with safety they would want this ruled an out but YMMV depending on the region you work. 

Capture.JPG

On 4/29/2017 at 8:24 PM, Rich Ives said:

Hurdling is legal in LL.  Head first slides advancing is not.  This would be an out for the head first. 

You and I are in agreement on this one.

9 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

You and I are in agreement on this one.

Yeah ... I couldn't sleep last night because I had to face myself in the mirror and admit Rich Ives made a correct statement.

• Like 2