Run scores before 3rd out?

Guest Charley
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2527 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Charley

2 outs runner on 2nd and 3rd.  Ball batted to third baseman who tags runner on second advancing to 3rd to make 3rd out.  Runner on 3rd crosses plate before tag.  Tag is made before hitter gets to first.  Does run score?

6 answers to this question

Yes, it's a time play.  If the play was made on the batter before reaching first than the run doesn't score.   

Rule 5.08(a) to 5.08(b) 

EXCEPTION: A run is not scored if the runner advances to home base during a play in which the third out is made (1) by the batter-runner before he touches first base; (2) by any runner being forced out; or (3) by a preceding runner who is declared out because he failed to touch one of the bases. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maven said:

Some people allow a 4th out play on the BR at 1B to discount the run. Otherwise, I agree, this is a time play.

Some people? It's not an appeal play so there shouldn't be potential for an apparent 4th out, right? 

1 hour ago, Stk004 said:

Some people? It's not an appeal play so there shouldn't be potential for an apparent 4th out, right? 

Spirit of rule, letter of rule.  Jim Evans has stated it should be allowed.  I think Wendelstedt says not?  NCAA says yes.  OBR specifically mentions the fourth out scenario for appeals, but I believe the spirit/intent of the third out/run scored rule is to require the batter/runner to reach first safely to validate the run.

I think the easiest solution is to reword the rule to simply say that the runner doesn't score if the third out is recorded before BR reaches first safely and/or any forced runners reach their required bases.   OR, simply interpret the rule as worded to require BR to reach first safely before the third out is required.  Either one removes the fourth out requirement in this rare scenario (BR not reaching first would be treated the same as BR being put out before reaching first), and leaves it specifically for appeal situations.  

Because, frankly, if you read the rule verbatim and take it literally, then a batter who hits a deep, high fly ball, and rounds first base before the ball is caught doesn't meet the conditions of the rule either, and the run should score.  But it doesn't, because we know the spirit and intent of the rule.