Single or double

Guest Tim King
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2527 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Tim King

I hit a ball to left center with a runner on second, and had reached first safely when the outfielder throws the ball to home plate in an attempt to get our 2 who was trying to score. I advanced to second on the throw home, and I am curious whether my hit was a single or a double, and would appreciate some help. Thank you!

11 answers to this question

1 hour ago, udbrky said:

I have E8 on the hit.

Never.  Making a throw in an attempt to get a lead runner is almost never an error.  Unless the score keeper judges that there was no way on God's green Earth the attempt should have been made.  It would have to be egregious, like F8 trying to throw out R3 on a single.  But trying to throw out R2 on a single - never an error.  BR is simply given a single, and advances to second on throw.

2 hours ago, maven said:

If you indulge them, they'll just keep returning.

Well, the site does say "ask your baseball rules question" - and all score keeping rules are written in the baseball rule book - at least for OBR they are.

Just now, beerguy55 said:

Never.  Making a throw in an attempt to get a lead runner is almost never an error.  Unless the score keeper judges that there was no way on God's green Earth the attempt should have been made.  It would have to be egregious, like F8 trying to throw out R3 on a single.  But trying to throw out R2 on a single - never an error.  BR is simply given a single, and advances to second on throw.

Appeal to the league. I didn't say it was on the throw either.

• Like 1

The applicable rule is 9.06b. It tells us that your hit would be scored as a single and your advancement on the throw would be scored as a fielder’s choice.

OBR 9.06 Determining Value of Base Hits

The official scorer shall score a base hit as a one-base hit, two-base hit, three-base hit or home run when no error or putout results, as follows…:

(b) When, with one or more runners on base, the batter advances more than one base on a safe hit and the defensive team makes an attempt to put out a preceding runner, the scorer shall determine whether the batter made a legitimate two-base hit or three-base hit, or whether the batter-runner advanced beyond first base on the fielder’s choice.

Rule 9.06 Comment:... A batter may deserve a two base hit even though a preceding runner advances one or no bases; a batter may deserve only a one-base hit even though he reaches second base and a preceding runner advances two bases. For example: (1) Runner on first. Batter hits to right fielder, who throws to third base in an unsuccessful attempt to put out runner. Batter takes second base. The official scorer shall credit batter with one-base hit.