Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Umpire in Chief

My Deepest Apologys

19 posts in this topic

Okay, It's been a rough few days. And of course it happens at the worst possible time.

I'll start from the beginning...

You may have noticed earlier last week the site was running pretty slow. I put in a support ticket in and was told of a brand new update which would solve the issue.

I run the update Friday morning as work was pretty light and I thought I could get it done pretty quickly. Just as you always should I made a complete back up before starting.However fate had a different plan. We ran into a cacophony of errors. They first identified error was that a manual sql query I had to do timed out and caused chaos between the system and the database. The problem was identified, but the solution was eluding all. 

Now I must say I was given excellent support by both the company I lease my server from and the forum's software company. They kept fighting for a solution while I was saying lets just start from scratch and I'll manually upload all the various tables to rebuild the database. 

They continued to persuade me work things through and get to the root of the problem. I was getting impatient but trusted their expertise. Then this afternoon someone new from one of the software team found one tiny file that became corrupt.  

Fix the file, reload and now we're back in business.

10 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

Warren, I didn't realize how much I use and enjoy UE. Thank God you are back in business.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, the flashbacks to my former IT management career! Strong work, and thanks for your dedication, Warren.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Full disclosure: I perused other sites so I didn't suffer a breakdown. I feel like I cheated on U-E. Please forgive me...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll echo @KenBAZ until this site went down, I did not fully recognize how much visiting U-E is a part of my day.  

Whatever the issue (sql, sunspots, gremlins with their di-a-bo-lyical sab-o-tay-geee), I am just glad you are back up.  Thanks again for your dedication.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was starting to wonder the future of my growth as an umpire was going to look like. Glad you're back! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey tech is great until it doesn't work... LOL

 

 

Keep up the good fight Warren.  TY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stuff happens!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take this exact event situation, Warren ( @Umpire in Chief ), but now increase the tension and chaos by involving your company leadership – who know nothing about technical processes like these – hounding you by the hour with, "Is it fixed yet?", "When can we get email?", "Why isn't it fixed yet?", "Why can't I get our company mail from my Yahoo account?", "Is it fixed yet?" and then mix in an IT guy (me) who didn't leave the office building for 2-3 days and took crash-naps on the conference table...

... only to find that one of the service providers would only be open during "normal" business hours and wouldn't have the same person on the phone twice, so would have to be completely re-briefed on the original problem and each of the solutions attempted so far, and finally making progress to "Hey Max! We're missing emails! Why isn't it fixed yet?"

One of the worst weeks of my life.

So, since I can not only sympathize, but empathize, I commend you Warren... now go get some much deserved sleep. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curiously, I cannot get the UE home page at umpire-empire.com; the same error page comes up. I get the same result if I click on the "home" button. But I can get to the promised land at umpire-empire.com/index.

I find the internet very perplexing, but then I am about as old school as they come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, stkjock said:

clear your cache?

and temporary internet files. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stkjock said:

clear your cache?

That actually worked! I don't know what it means, but it worked! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LRZ said:

That actually worked! I don't know what it means, but it worked! Thanks!

You're welcome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I've paid for clinics, various books and videos, but my "go to" resource is totally free. That resource being UE which I would happily throw a few bucks at. How can I do so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 4/27/2017 at 9:36 PM, Sut'n Blue said:

 

I've paid for clinics, various books and videos, but my "go to" resource is totally free. That resource being UE which I would happily throw a few bucks at. How can I do so?

Just like this.... Thanks Warren! @Umpire in Chief

 

Order Review

  • packages-0019547001421632723.png
    1 x Premium Membership

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2017 at 10:29 PM, Umpire in Chief said:

Okay, It's been a rough few days. And of course it happens at the worst possible time.

I'll start from the beginning...

You may have noticed earlier last week the site was running pretty slow. I put in a support ticket in and was told of a brand new update which would solve the issue.

I run the update Friday morning as work was pretty light and I thought I could get it done pretty quickly. Just as you always should I made a complete back up before starting.However fate had a different plan. We ran into a cacophony of errors. They first identified error was that a manual sql query I had to do timed out and caused chaos between the system and the database. The problem was identified, but the solution was eluding all. 

Now I must say I was given excellent support by both the company I lease my server from and the forum's software company. They kept fighting for a solution while I was saying lets just start from scratch and I'll manually upload all the various tables to rebuild the database. 

They continued to persuade me work things through and get to the root of the problem. I was getting impatient but trusted their expertise. Then this afternoon someone new from one of the software team found one tiny file that became corrupt.  

Fix the file, reload and now we're back in business.

you better be sorry.

After 3 days (like 3 strikes and your out, or 3 days without water) I went into cardiac arrest. I told them what I thought was the problem on my last breath. They Narcanned me first.

Then they took me to the ICU and put me on life support and also put me in someone's leftover hyperbolic chamber (they wouldn't tell me whose old one it was, but they did say there were some fibers in the chamber, that might allude to the fact that the previous person wore some kind of glove, or another theory, had a relative named Ted. Was it a catchers mitt, an outfielder glove, first base mitt, (ahh who cares) doesn't really matter.

So, when word finally came that UE was back up, I was slowly brought back to life and into the real world.

In the future.

could i be put on the email list, for notices of important information that might severely hamper my      r o u t i n e      , "prior" to the fact.

And, could I get $100 reimbursement for my episode.

In lieu of the $100, you can have a plate game where every batter goes 3-2 and fouls off 5 pitches before walking. The score of the 7 inning game is 30-25 and lasts 6 hours.

don't let it happen again.

get those flowers for mothers day, or you will be taking over that chamber.

 

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the time UE was down, America's productivity rose by 27%. It has now returned to normal.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now