Fair or Foul 2

Guest DavidJp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2548 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest DavidJp

High school baseball game.

Ball was batted and hit down on home plate, and bounced straight up in the air. The catcher stepped forward with one foot on home plate and fielded the ball, then throwing to first base. 

The up called it a foul ball stating the catcher had to be full in fair territory and one foot was partially in foul territory. 

I disagree with this call. Please clarify. 

5 answers to this question

15 hours ago, maven said:

Also: the plate is completely in fair territory, like all the bases. Just sayin'.

Plenty of High School Coaches and Catchers (and yes, some High School Umpires) don't know this simple truth.  I got asked this very day by a catcher, "Didn't that ball hit the plate?" ... to which I said, "Yes Sir" ... to which he said nothing ... with that glazed look that says, "I thought that made it foul, but I guess I don't know the rule ... "

On 4/20/2017 at 10:26 PM, VolUmp said:

Plenty of High School Coaches and Catchers (and yes, some High School Umpires) don't know this simple truth.  I got asked this very day by a catcher, "Didn't that ball hit the plate?" ... to which I said, "Yes Sir" ... to which he said nothing ... with that glazed look that says, "I thought that made it foul, but I guess I don't know the rule ... "

I have found the remedy for this, for almost any coach, player or parent, is to have them chalk a diamond, just once.  It usually takes them just one time to realize that the foul lines are drawn from the point of the plate, making the plate inside fair territory.

I have found the remedy for this, for almost any coach, player or parent, is to have them chalk a diamond, just once.  It usually takes them just one time to realize that the foul lines are drawn from the point of the plate, making the plate inside fair territory.

Most of the time, I get the issue from the coach that DID chalk the diamond that day lol.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 2