Another Sitch from FB

JSam21
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2555 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1 hour ago, Umpire in Chief said:

The Facebook umpire groups have their place. I do get a kick out of reading some of the things and the arguments. But I almost never participate.

As for the OP, I've got nothing all day long, but can only imagine the ruling. Now I'm quite curious.

He ruled interference on the on deck batter and sent the runner back to 3rd. Total MSU book ruling 

On 4/17/2017 at 8:57 PM, BrianC14 said:

Agreed - it's a case of contamination as far as this site goes.   Let sleeping germs lie over at FB.

Well, the problem is those FB umps are working games somewhere...maybe you get to be partnered with some of them from time to time.  These are the guys who call batters out on home runs for high fiving the coach, think the hands are part of the bat, and in general, make most umpires look bad.   So, if you're worried about contamination...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Well, the problem is those FB umps are working games somewhere...maybe you get to be partnered with some of them from time to time.  These are the guys who call batters out on home runs for high fiving the coach, think the hands are part of the bat, and in general, make most umpires look bad.   So, if you're worried about contamination...

What are you saying?

On 4/17/2017 at 6:17 PM, JSam21 said:

Asking if you would make a call? If yes, what call and why. If no, why no call.

If they were hurt during the collision I'd maybe call an ambulance?

• Like 2

On 4/18/2017 at 7:51 PM, MidAmUmp said:

Ditto...

It's crazy how some of them can be so wrong, and it is proven to them, and they will still swear they are in the right.  I'm trying to think of the game, but the Cardinals were in it and the runner going to home was clearly obstructed by the fielder throwing his legs into the air while he was on his stomach, causing the runner to trip. The umpires correctly called obstruction and awarded the runner home. Thinking the runner was Allen Craig.  Anyway, some guy made the comment about how he was a Div I umpire and that was in no way obstruction.  Wow.  I want to work with that guy.  In my entire life I've never thrown up my legs to stand up like that.  http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/video-according-to-rule-umps-get-world-series-obstruction-call-right/

3 hours ago, umpstu said:

It's crazy how some of them can be so wrong, and it is proven to them, and they will still swear they are in the right.  

Are we still on umpiring or did we make the switch to politics?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, umpstu said:

It's crazy how some of them can be so wrong, and it is proven to them, and they will still swear they are in the right.  I'm trying to think of the game, but the Cardinals were in it and the runner going to home was clearly obstructed by the fielder throwing his legs into the air while he was on his stomach, causing the runner to trip. The umpires correctly called obstruction and awarded the runner home. Thinking the runner was Allen Craig.  Anyway, some guy made the comment about how he was a Div I umpire and that was in no way obstruction.  Wow.  I want to work with that guy.  In my entire life I've never thrown up my legs to stand up like that.  http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/video-according-to-rule-umps-get-world-series-obstruction-call-right/

After the Red Sox World Series obstruction call the prevailing argument I saw on FB/youtube from alleged full time high level umpires is that it shouldn't have been obstruction because he wasn't running on the base line.  I found myself explaining that, first, that chalk line is for determining fair and foul balls not for telling the runners where to run, and second, baseball players don't round the bases at full speed at 90 degree angles.  But apparently I'm wrong.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2017 at 8:52 PM, MadMax said:

The guys on FB are idiots.

Yep. I've been banned from two groups: one for pointing out that the mod was lying about his experience, and another when a mod (who also happens to be a member here) didn't like being wrong.

And as a disclaimer--as abrasive as I can be sometimes, I handled both situations with kid gloves.

50 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

After the Red Sox World Series obstruction call the prevailing argument I saw on FB/youtube from alleged full time high level umpires is that it shouldn't have been obstruction because he wasn't running on the base line.  I found myself explaining that, first, that chalk line is for determining fair and foul balls not for telling the runners where to run, and second, baseball players don't round the bases at full speed at 90 degree angles.  But apparently I'm wrong.

Takes a big man to admit it...:smachhead:

16 hours ago, Cav said:

Are we still on umpiring or did we make the switch to politics?

Was umpiring, but it could also be the other. Since it's an umpiring site we'll stay there.

12 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Oh. don't forget that the ball being past him by about 30 feet means that he's still in the act of fielding.