Register or Sign In to remove these ads
ofhs93

Uniform question

ofhs93    46

For those of us up north where it can be a little cool early on....what is the opinion on wearing long sleeve compression base layer with a short sleeve jersey...assuming the color matches? I'm just getting started here...don't have any long sleeved jerseys yet.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
BrianC14    422

That is frowned upon in my area.   It's considered a look that seems to say "I am very inexperienced at this umpiring thing."  

The approach here is, 'If it's cold enough, wear a jacket.'

• Like 4

maven    3,880

Absolutely not. It's in the Smitty top 10.

Long sleeves are $28 at Honigs.

Screen_Shot_2017-04-17_at_12.52.22_PM.pn

• Like 2

maven    3,880

For those who are wondering: PM noumpere for the other 9. :D

• Like 1

Stk004    599

We had a real long discussion about this a few weeks ago.... maybe a month ago, I haven't been on much. 

• Like 1

MadMax    1,215

The thing to get, that solves a lot of the problem, is the Convertible jacket. Majestic debuted it a few years ago, in Black and Navy. When they ceased making it, Smitty picked it up and continued it. Looks great tucked in, and you can zip on and off the sleeves with ease. Wear it with a base layer, and then with the umpire shirt too, if need be.

I'm from Wisconsin, and used my two Convertible jackets the majority of the spring and fall seasons. When I got to Arizona, I continued to rely upon them for Winter ball, only zipping the sleeves on once the sun went down. There was only 1 January game wherein I had to fish out my ThermaBase jacket.

• Like 1

maineump    349
15 hours ago, MadMax said:

The thing to get, that solves a lot of the problem, is the Convertible jacket. Majestic debuted it a few years ago, in Black and Navy. When they ceased making it, Smitty picked it up and continued it. Looks great tucked in, and you can zip on and off the sleeves with ease. Wear it with a base layer, and then with the umpire shirt too, if need be.

I'm from Wisconsin, and used my two Convertible jackets the majority of the spring and fall seasons. When I got to Arizona, I continued to rely upon them for Winter ball, only zipping the sleeves on once the sun went down. There was only 1 January game wherein I had to fish out my ThermaBase jacket.

That works good if it is an 'approved jacket' by the board. None of my boards have that as an option. For me it is LS shirt or plate coat. Many of our HS guys wear a jacket on the plate, as they don't have the plate coat. This is approved, but I found it was constricting.

Mad Mike    96

I am really sorry that you asked about a thong.............

(I sure hope this doesn't get me banned.)

Image result for borat

• Like 1

LRZ    122

Around here, particularly at lower levels, these things are relatively relaxed, and not bars to advancement. See what is customary in your region.

GPblue    40
On 4/17/2017 at 0:55 PM, maven said:

Absolutely not. It's in the Smitty top 10.

Long sleeves are $28 at Honigs.

Screen_Shot_2017-04-17_at_12.52.22_PM.pn

May be as Smitty as the 15 minute discussion I had at my HS chapter meeting Tuesday about taking an indicator on the bases

• Like 1

ofhs93    46
6 hours ago, GPblue said:

May be as Smitty as the 15 minute discussion I had at my HS chapter meeting Tuesday about taking an indicator on the bases

Wow...this thread rapidly went down the rabbit hole lol. One Thong reference and forget about it haha...

Ok...you have me concerned now...why would there be a 15min convo on having an indicator while doing the bases???

As far as the local association being strict and not Smitty with long sleeve base and short sleeve top...I actually now know of a cpl PIAA guys locally that do that...but I will look into the convertible jacket option.

LRZ...appreciate your SEPA input...obviously I'm more concerned with my mechanics ect....but I think it's fairly clear from everything I read here and elswhere that looking the part professionally can get you started off on the right track with coaches and fans before the 1st pitch is even delivered. That's not to say that you might not catch me wearing a black compression long sleeve base layer this Sat morning up here in NEPA with the temps hovering around 50 though ;) No long sleeve or jacket is getting here in time for that game :)

• Like 1

GPblue    40
46 minutes ago, ofhs93 said:

Ok...you have me concerned now...why would there be a 15min convo on having an indicator while doing the bases???

Because I have some old YINZERS in my chapter that are old school and "have been doing this for 41 years and need to know the caunt and how many auts there are"(excuse my Pittsburghese). "and you are a better umpire than I am if you can stay focused on the game and know the caunt and auts"

After listening to this, multiple old school guys chimed in telling us their "tricks to the trade" on where to look at their indicator so they still have their eye on the pitcher so they don't look down at their indicator.

• Like 2

noumpere    2,412
3 hours ago, ofhs93 said:

Some want to prohibit it, some want to allow it, some want to require it.  With three different options, and none of them "wrong" (depending on the specific umpires involved), I'm surprised it only lasted 15 minute.

Heck, somewhere here there's a 15-page* thread on the same subject.

* - artistic license

• Like 1

Kevin_K    523

And once again, we descend down the indicator rabbit hole........   :Horse:

• Like 1

Richvee    1,724
11 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

And once again, we descend down the indicator rabbit hole........   :Horse:

I would have bet you were replying in this thread to say

"What is this "indicator" you speak of???"

• Like 1

ofhs93    46
On April 18, 2017 at 11:29 PM, MadMax said:

Ill def be picking one up before fall ball starts up :)

BrianC14    422

On the subject of jackets. ...  last Friday,  game time temp 39 degrees, light sprinkleof rain.    Raw.  

Long sleeves not going to get it done, nor will the "convertible" shell.  Heavy jacket and two base layers did the trick. 

Today's forecast:  40, with showers followed by.... snow.   :o

• Like 1