sliding past 2nd on ball four

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2524 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1 hour ago, johnnyg08 said:

Florida mgr was out there for nearly three minutes on this play. No crew consult. No EJ. Did not result in Vand scoring any more runs. Florida ended up winning the game late.

Is the video linked from your youtube channel? It's an awesome channel, love to see interesting baseball plays

I had this exact situation unfold for me. My participants made it easier, surely, by R1 making a bolt for 3B and getting tagged out.

The umpire in this video botched the call.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ricka56 said:

I'm all for good (slow) ball/strike timing/mechanics, but you should try to verbalize BALL before F2 risks throwing the ball into CF on Ball-4 with R1 going on the pitch.

I wouldn't go to great lengths to prevent a throw. F2 might want to risk it for an overslide such as in the OP or an appeal of a swing. 

13 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

I wouldn't go to great lengths to prevent a throw. F2 might want to risk it for an overslide such as in the OP or an appeal of a swing. 

F2 is free to take that high risk/low reward chance with all the info needed to calculate it. 

24 minutes ago, noumpere said:

It's SOP to make the ball 4 call a little more quickly than usual in such situations.

So... do we call 'ball FOUR' for every walk, or only on 3 balls with runners? Is it a matter of mechanical preference? Asking objectively because I'm not in the habit of verbalizing 'ball FOUR'. 

7 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

Ouch.   This can happen at any base, so it pays to be mindful of going beyond the bag even during a base award.  How many times do we see B/R make a turn at 1B after a BB?  F2 lobs the ball down to F3, just hoping. ...  :o

IIRC the B/R can overrun first on a walk in OBR, but not in FED

32 minutes ago, kstrunk said:

So... do we call 'ball FOUR' for every walk, or only on 3 balls with runners? Is it a matter of mechanical preference? Asking objectively because I'm not in the habit of verbalizing 'ball FOUR'. 

I can't tell  you anymore what the specific manuals say, nor how anal your group / evaluators will be that you follow any "right way" for your group. -- I always said "ball" "ball" "ball" "ball 4"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gfoley4 said:

IIRC the B/R can overrun first on a walk in OBR, but not in FED

The B/R is protected to first base in all codes.  If the B/R were judged to have turned toward 2nd base, that puts him at risk of being put out.  (Note, a turn, not just an over-run).

3 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

The B/R is protected to first base in all codes.  If the B/R were judged to have turned toward 2nd base, that puts him at risk of being put out.  (Note, a turn, not just an over-run).

The BR is not protected if he overruns first on a walk in FED.  And, it isn't a "turn" toward second that's a problem -- it's an attempt to advance (although that attempt can be very slight.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, noumpere said:

The BR is not protected if he overruns first on a walk in FED.  And, it isn't a "turn" toward second that's a problem -- it's an attempt to advance (although that attempt can be very slight.)

Agreed.   As stated, B/R is protected "to" first base in all codes.   FED has their own deal with merely overrunning, which can put B/R at risk.  

I'm with @noumpere on this one, @kstrunk. It is a clearly enunciated "Ball four", stated loud enough so most of the infield can hear. Even though the prior three balls pitched went unannounced because they were obviously balls, the fourth one I have made a habit of announcing in this way. I never say "Take your base" nor do I ever gesture in any manner towards first.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2017 at 9:13 AM, kstrunk said:

you should get into a really great habit of calling ball 4 every time..

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, noumpere said:

And ....?

They said the runner should have been out because the award ended when he went the past the base.  They also said that the crew should have come in without being asked because it was a rule misapplication instead of a judgment call. 

3 hours ago, spiffdawg7 said:

They said the runner should have been out because the award ended when he went the past the base.  They also said that the crew should have come in without being asked because it was a rule misapplication instead of a judgment call. 

If I was part of that crew I would not think that that rule was kicked by my college colleague and probably would assume he saw a safe unless I had a clear view of the play and/or my partner was "that" guy.

4 hours ago, spiffdawg7 said:

Good.  I agree on the first part (out) and if I know why he called it, I agree on the second part.  That's a little tougher, but it's pretty obvious in this case, I think.