NCAA Softball and Illegal Pitching

UmpRandy
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2557 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Anybody here aware of the Kelly Barnhill (and a few others) illegal pitching issue?  

As a softball umpire (HS and below) this really concerns me. I'm obligated to uphold the rules of pitching and if I see an illegal pitch, should call it.

However. . . if nobody else is, I'm not sure I'd have the stones to be the lone wolf.  

Thoughts?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barnhill's delivery has 2 notable elements to it.

The first one is easy and clear: the leap.  Call that every time.  There's not even any valid discussion to be had.  I can't believe that she can throw 2 pitches without getting called on that (only because on the first one, I might be able to forgive the umpire for thinking "Holy crap, there's no way she just jumped 4 feet.  I need to see that again.")

The second one is the alleged replant.  That's a pretty common delivery nowadays, and umpires way more experienced and doing way higher levels of ball aren't calling it.  ASA even addressed it specifically.  So I'd feel fine not calling that.

If there's daylight between the drag foot and the ground, call it, every time (crow hop/second plant).  If both feet are off the ground at the same time, call it, every time.  (leap)

If the back foot stays in contact with the ground, even if it looks like a second plant, I have never seen it called at any level.   The standard/POE seems to be the foot leaving the ground, rather than the second push.

This section of the 2017 NCAA rules are posted on another softball site I frequent.  The 2nd rule below is pretty clear to me that what she is doing is illegal 

10.4.5 Leaping is not allowed. The pitcher may not become airborne on the initial drive from the pitcher’s plate. The pivot foot must slide/drag on the ground.

10.4.6 Crow hopping is not allowed. The pitcher may not replant, gain a second starting point and push off her pivot foot. Once having lost contact with the pitcher’s plate, the pivot foot may trail on the ground but may not bear weight again until the pitch is released. 

8 minutes ago, UmpRandy said:

This section of the 2017 NCAA rules are posted on another softball site I frequent.  The 2nd rule below is pretty clear to me that what she is doing is illegal 

10.4.5 Leaping is not allowed. The pitcher may not become airborne on the initial drive from the pitcher’s plate. The pivot foot must slide/drag on the ground.

10.4.6 Crow hopping is not allowed. The pitcher may not replant, gain a second starting point and push off her pivot foot. Once having lost contact with the pitcher’s plate, the pivot foot may trail on the ground but may not bear weight again until the pitch is released. 

I don't disagree - I'm just saying in my experience, I have NEVER seen a crow hop called at any level, from minor ball to international competition, men/women/boys/girls, where the back foot didn't leave the ground...and I've never had a conversation/argument with an umpire that didn't end with "her back foot never left the ground."   It just seems to me that leaping has been the bigger POE than planting.

Now, maybe it just takes a couple of umpires to stand out on their own and call it as you state - she's replanting, it's a crow hop - and it will garner the discussion and exposure it needs.