Bulk Ruling on Paused Leg Kick at Highest Point

Guest Doug
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2563 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Quick question. My son was called for a balk on this yesterday in an 11U game. Runner on 2B. Out of the stretch he came set. On his leg kick, at its highest point, he held it while looking at the runner, and then delivered home. It definitely was a pause. Is that a balk?

I've tried to read the rules, but couldn't find anything specific. I just saw that it had to be a continuous motion - but I feel like I've seen professional players freeze a runner before (especially LH picking off 1B). Or is it something where you can pause the leg as long as other parts are still moving? If so, would it be considered continuous if you paused your leg kick at top position while your hands move from belt to eye-level to back to belt? And if you did that with your hands, could you then still make a pickoff move to 2B (inside move) or come home? You've haven't made any move towards either home or 2nd, so I would imagine that as long as you are 'continuous' then you are still free to go either way (same if you wanted to throw over to 3B if runner was on 3rd), correct? Thanks for the help. I just want to be able to help teach my son what adjustment he can make if it is indeed a balk.

10 answers to this question

Yes it is, he either has to spin towards second or go to the plate. It has to be in one continuous motion without any pauses. Don't go by what they do in MLB, they are a different animal.

You also have to pay attention to the rubber / foot on the 3B move. The wind-up would have to be seen, but you said he is hanging a leg - in general terms it is a balk (not seeing what the rest of him is doing).

Think of it this way - A balk is an attempt to deceive the runner.

20 minutes ago, Guest Doug said:

It definitely was a pause. Is that a balk?

11U? I'm pretty sure something was still moving. Yes, something moving is legal (since coming set requires everything to stop moving).

But I might send F2 out to tell him not to stop everything during his pitch.

• Like 2

Unless he completely freezes (11u?) and stays there trying to balance all I am asking of him is try and throw strikes!

At this age the majority of the balks are the big ones:

No stop, huge shoulder turn after coming set, double set, falling off the mound during delivery and not throwing the ball etc.

40 minutes ago, FleasOf1000Camels said:

I find it difficult to believe that ANY human being (especially one as young as 11) can actually hold his entire body in a frozen state for any discernable period of time while holding one leg up in the air.  Calling this balk is picking for boogers.

I did a tournament in Guam - Asia/Pac - and the Asian kids did it until they were called on it. It is possible I guess.

I remember when I started catching years ago, we had a coach teaching the kids to pause at the "top" of their motion to be "balanced" - maybe this is what is going on in the OP?

4 hours ago, FleasOf1000Camels said:

I find it difficult to believe that ANY human being (especially one as young as 11) can actually hold his entire body in a frozen state for any discernable period of time while holding one leg up in the air.  Calling this balk is picking for boogers.

Pretty easy actually.