Register or Sign In to remove these ads
MidAmUmp

Between Innings

maven    3,881
6 hours ago, lawump said:

I grabbed him by the shoulder and said quietly to him, "son, you work hard enough running your team as the catcher.  Why don't we let the scrubs on the bench get a little work in and get us the foul balls?"  He laughed and said, "thanks, blue."

And the next borderline pitch you balled, he told his coach it was outside. :rock

• Like 1

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
KenBAZ    377

I think educating and working with your catchers is very important for game management. I'll often tell my catchers; "Dave, let's get a ball back into​ your pitcher's hands as quickly as possible so he can stay in his rhythm". Between innings, I'll remind them, "He's got five if he needs them". I can't directly manage the pitcher but I can influence my catcher to do so.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

lawump    707

Last week, I had the quickest game in American Legion World Series history (1,115 games over 91 years) according to the official historian (they actually did some significant research.). It was 1:27 for seven innings.  You can watch it on ESPN3 or the "Watch ESPN" app for the next week or so.  It is labeled on those sites as "Game 6" of the ALWS.  

• Like 1

dumbdumb    305
23 minutes ago, lawump said:

Last week, I had the quickest game in American Legion World Series history (1,115 games over 91 years) according to the official historian (they actually did some significant research.). It was 1:27 for seven innings.  You can watch it on ESPN3 or the "Watch ESPN" app for the next week or so.  It is labeled on those sites as "Game 6" of the ALWS.  

Tell David Thompson hello for all of us. Unfortunately Earl Scruggs has passed and is not around to play for you.

I believe over time I have found some pictures of you (but then again, maybe it is someone else), and,

would you quit using that old photo of you when you were 21 and not even shaving yet in your professional profiles.

use more current pictures

There have been some rather ugly plate umpires, with their masks on, in that tournament that are scaring the players into swinging at anything, just so they can sit back down and not see the plate umpire. I can tell the above is true from my armchair quarterback position while watching (only 5 minutes so far, sorry) this week on TV.

hope your fellow umpires bought you a couple of RC Cola's for the quick work.

congrats on the historical perspective of your recent accomplishment. may it last another 100 years.

• Like 1

Every memo in Iowa reminds of of keeping good pace of play.  I address it at every pregame conference when I work the plate.  On the bases I keep a stopwatch either out in my hand or dangling at my side.  That lets coaches know we're keeping enforcement consistent.  At 50 seconds between innings from the first infielder taking his position (not exactly the rule) I begin walking from shallow RCF towards the 'A' position.  This signals to my partner that the next pitch is the last warm-up pitch.