Register or Sign In to remove these ads

I'm watching the SFvsAZ game and it looks like Jim Wolf has switched from the Nike titanium to a wilson aluminum 

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

I've notice quite a few guys moving away from their Nike's in the past couple of seasons.......

They are becoming less popular.

Price will decrease even more.

If you want to sell one do it now!

I just don't see Nike continuing to produce and supply the Nike Titanium in sustainable numbers, given that their "brand ambassador" and patron of the mask's creation – Jorge Posada – is no longer in baseball. Nike is experiencing a dilemma in their hardgoods division, fallout from the golf (Tiger Woods, specifically) debacle. It's not that Titanium masks are less safe than aluminum, it's a problem that they are less (economically) sustainable, given that they do bend (aluminum generally doesn't), and their cost-per-replacement is markedly higher.

Wolf likely has to pay for the Titaniums personally, in some way (either through actual dollars, favors, arrangements, etc). With Wilson (still) holding on to the MLBU supply contract, they are obligated to supply Wilson masks – including the Aluminum – to the umpires, likely for free. It's a no-brainer.