Triple play? / Appeal on Tag / Just really strange

stl_ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2578 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

25 minutes ago, ricka56 said:

4-man crew...who has that catch/no-catch ? That umpire has to come up big and loud with that call to let everyone know the status ball. Dunno if that happened.

U2, and he did, which is why R2 went back and retouched. For all the good it did him.

We've talked about this play before.

I think that they realized that they missed the catch/no catch, but because there were multiple runners in play, they couldn't change that call.

I'm guessing that the LSU coach was asking about R3 leaving early, and PU couldn't say much. I'd love to know what he did say.

• Like 1

Wow, quite interesting!

From what I could see, the PU correctly signalled nothing on the tag of home plate. He saw that U2 signalled the batter out on the catch and that the force at home was now off.

U3 knew that as well and waited for the tag of R2 at 3rd base.

My question would be, even with F5 being on the bag for the throw to 3rd it would not be an appeal on R3, correct? It would need to be an unmistakable appeal.

19 minutes ago, Mussgrass said:

My question would be, even with F5 being on the bag for the throw to 3rd it would not be an appeal on R3, correct? It would need to be an unmistakable appeal.

Doesn't it always need to be an unmistakable appeal?  Are there ever any "accidental appeals" allowed?

47 minutes ago, noumpere said:

Doesn't it always need to be an unmistakable appeal?  Are there ever any "accidental appeals" allowed?

That is what I was getting at. if they were not playing on R2 the throw to 3rd would be an appeal on R3, yes? 

Or, could the argument be made that they completed the triple play with the tag of 3rd and subsequent tag of R2? Probably not.

20 minutes ago, Mussgrass said:

That is what I was getting at. if they were not playing on R2 the throw to 3rd would be an appeal on R3, yes? 

Or, could the argument be made that they completed the triple play with the tag of 3rd and subsequent tag of R2? Probably not.

My questions were rhetorical.

10 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

How can the same runner be called out twice?  force at home AND on appeal for leaving early?  Did I miss something?

Yes, you missed the PU not calling him out: when F6 "caught" the line drive, that removed the force on R3. The run scored, pending retouch appeal.

Also, it IS possible for the same runner to be called out twice. This happens in many 4th out appeals. Of course, only 1 of the outs "counts."

What is not possible is to be forced to advance and required to retouch. One happens when the batted ball is not caught, the other when it is caught.