Matching with my partner?

LittleBlue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2559 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey guys, quick question: if I'm on the plate and I wear a short sleeve shirt does it look bad if my partner is bundled up with a jacket, ear muffs and gloves? Temp is going to be 55ish at game time. I can't wear a heavy jacket/pullover in that. Should I suck it up and sweat or would it be fine for me to go short sleeve and him heavy jacket?

Note: it's a preseason scrimmage so it's not the end of the world but I still wants us to look professional out there. Yes I'm nitpicky, I know!

It's perfectly fine.  It's not uncommon here for PU to be in short sleeves or long sleeves and BU to be in a jacket.  Do what you need to in order to be comfortable.  Now, if you're working 3 man, 4 man or 6 man, all of the base umpires should match.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

It's perfectly fine.  It's not uncommon here for PU to be in short sleeves or long sleeves and BU to be in a jacket.  Do what you need to in order to be comfortable.  Now, if you're working 3 man, 4 man or 6 man, all of the base umpires should match.

Thanks I was just wondering cause I've heard guys that I've worked with say if PU wears short sleeves then BU should wear them and that if BU wears a jacket then PU should have long sleeves. Didn't know if that was a hard and fast rule or just opinions. Definitely agree on the BU's matching each other. Luckily all the 3 man I work is in the summer so it's not that hard to match (except for that one guy who wears softball light blue and we all wear the MLB blue but that's a rant for another time).

I don't care about sleeve length. Color matters, and I think that if you're both wearing a shirt it should be the same style. If my partner on the plate wants to go with twin stripe long sleeves, I'll wear my twin stripe shirt or jacket. If my partner decides to wear a jacket out on the bases, I'll just wear a shirt of the same color (which would pretty much always be black, yeah?).

1 minute ago, Stk004 said:

(which would pretty much always be black, yeah?).

Man I wish the guys around here would just grow up and buy the black shirts. Way too many guys default to navy. I wear black every chance I get but with high school it's still mostly navy :mad:

• Like 2

Just now, LittleBlue said:

Man I wish the guys around here would just grow up and buy the black shirts. Way too many guys default to navy. I wear black every chance I get but with high school it's still mostly navy :mad:

Washington requires black for high school varsity. Even though I'm not working Varsity everyone just carries black for now. Once the middle of April rolls around I'll probably get to break out the blue. 

Just now, Stk004 said:

Washington requires black for high school varsity. Even though I'm not working Varsity everyone just carries black for now. Once the middle of April rolls around I'll probably get to break out the blue. 

I could have sworn that NJ was supposed to be the same way but then they made us buy these $55 Clif Keen shirts with a dye sublimated logo (kill me) and guess what? They come in navy too so guys buy the navy and the powder blue like they always have and nothing changes.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LittleBlue said:

I could have sworn that NJ was supposed to be the same way but then they made us buy these $55 Clif Keen shirts with a dye sublimated logo (kill me) and guess what? They come in navy too so guys buy the navy and the powder blue like they always have and nothing changes.

I think our sublimated shirts are $45, but again I don't do Varsity so I don't need one. And even if I did they don't make them in long sleeve or jackets so if you wear one of those you don't even need the sublimated shirt. 

5 hours ago, LittleBlue said:

Bought the "new" navy shirt last year for state playoffs. State tourney is still navy only:shrug:

Bought the long sleeve black and navy, and a SS black this year, so I'm set no matter what my partner has. We'll see how many times I get to wear black...We did wear black jackets yesterday.

5 hours ago, Stk004 said:

I think our sublimated shirts are $45, but again I don't do Varsity so I don't need one. And even if I did they don't make them in long sleeve or jackets so if you wear one of those you don't even need the sublimated shirt. 

We have a new patch that is put on the jackets and pullovers so I'd have to buy new ones too at a steep mark up.

26 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Bought the "new" navy shirt last year for state playoffs. State tourney is still navy only:shrug:

Bought the long sleeve black and navy, and a SS black this year, so I'm set no matter what my partner has. We'll see how many times I get to wear black...We did wear black jackets yesterday.

I had to get the powder blue for a random variety state softball game even though I've probably worked about 8 JV and F softball games in 3 years (only took the classes to fill out my schedule a bit). Go figure. I think I wore black for HS about 3 times last year. As for other ball outside of HS, I wore black almost exclusively.

What matters is everyone is wearing the same color and all base umps wear the same.

We have umpires who are still using the old zip up +POS shirts here. You really can't call them navy any longer because they are so sun faded.

We just switched to black for state and regional finals here, so maybe there will be some new shirts purchased.

I remember a time (1998-2000) when we wore different shirt colors because we were different. PU in black, BU in red, or visa versa, etc...We had every color. Now, guys don't wanna come outa pocket. And now it's just combo jackets where I'm at, which is cool cause it's cool/cold. 

Only navy or softball blue here :mad:

Can't wait to wear my pink. Don't care what state says or my P has on.