Comparison Force3 Ultimate Shin Guards vs Honigs K20-15s - Initial Impressions

Umpire_ar
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2546 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hello all,

So I had this all done earlier at work and my IT Department has decided to ban anything to do with sports. So needless to say as I hit submit, the blocker took effect. This may not be as eloquent as earlier. I hope I get everything said that I want to.

This is a short comparrison...

It is not a full review as I have yet to use them on the ballfield. But this is what I noticed from handling them and working with them over the last couple days.

The Honigs are wider, and not shaped to contour to your leg. The F3s are slimmer and contoured in a manner that your leg is cupped by the guard even before the straps are latched.

The padding is a lot thicker in the Honigs, but in my experience can be very hot. The F3s appear to be lighter, airier material. The padding is removable in both guards, but the F3 has a layer of padding that remains on the plastic shell where the Honigs do not.

Both have 4 straps in similar placement on the guards. The F3 straps are tight being that they are new, so at this time the comparrison on movement will have to wait until I can wear them. That being said, just strapping them on, the contour of the F3 shell doesn't allow for much spin when strapped in. The F3s are a whole lot slimmer. I managed to get my dress pants over the F3s. Wouldn't have happened with the Honigs.

I am also looking forward to the [mention=1907]Razzer[/mention] Shin harness. He is a fellow umpire for those who don't know that has a line of gear, harnesses, lineup cards, mats, stools that he customizes with names and etc. Check out his facebook page Umplife.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/307083899500685/

Overall my initial impressions are favorable. I can't wait to try these out and see if they are worth the money. It may take me the rest of the season, but we will see.

F3 USG 34a304e6d0031d24383abbeca9551767.jpg

Side by side 68ca5d6003f362f17841d8b8697d8a32.jpg

Padding side by side 16646aee5650be546d5cd0ea8a0caab8.jpg

F3 USG under dress pants 9a08f58cb7e8a25bcc7f3b95c0624d76.jpg

50607f4451ec35b24782b3b4666522f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

None of what I'm about to say, @Umpire_ar, is directed at you specifically. Also, I admire and encourage your willingness to write a product comparison and review of umpire gear – we need more of these, covering a variety of items and brands!

Thing is though, when it comes to shin guards, there is no comparison between the Force3 Ultimates and anything else in that same class. If you're doing any level of baseball (or even Fastpitch softball) beyond 12-13U, want the lightest, least cumbersome, least stifling, most protective pieces of equipment available, you perform a quick but decisive logic process with that part of your brain which steps in and prevents you from making otherwise impulsive decisions – such as purchasing a 60" 4K TV, getting on a rollercoaster named "The Hair-brained Scheme", or asking out Brittany Abbindola in college (before she went on to graduate summa cum laude in economics _and_ be featured in a Girls of the Big Sky Valley Plains Gulf 12 Conference calendar).

"We should get these Force3 shinguards!"

"But they're $120!?!!"

"They are comprised of Kevlar, and are exceptionally light and form fitting."

"But they don't have the MLB logo on them like the Wilsons do! Didn't Brian Brandfellow, our umpire mentor in our local association say at the meeting that we should buy nothing but Wilson gear, because that's what the Big Leaguers use??"

... "Didn't the guys on U-E say something about how long your gear is expected to last, though, and that the Force3 shinguards will last you the rest of your career?"

To be fair, I would consider the offerings of Douglas and All-Star and even Wilson when it comes to comparing items such as these. If you're operating in a budget, it's understandable that Champro or Diamond (or Honig's or +POS) guards at $65 become more feasible. However, when you consider that you'll never want to – or need to, barring theft or Tico your Rottweiler chewing them (Bad Tico! Bad!) – purchase any other shin guards again, it becomes remarkably easy to hit the Order button.

• Like 5

None of what I'm about to say, [mention=4453]Umpire_ar[/mention], is directed at you specifically. Also, I admire and encourage your willingness to write a product comparison and review of umpire gear – we need more of these, covering a variety of items and brands!
Thing is though, when it comes to shin guards, there is no comparison between the Force3 Ultimates and anything else in that same class. If you're doing any level of baseball (or even Fastpitch softball) beyond 12-13U, want the lightest, least cumbersome, least stifling, most protective pieces of equipment available, you perform a quick but decisive logic process with that part of your brain which steps in and prevents you from making otherwise impulsive decisions – such as purchasing a 60" 4K TV, getting on a rollercoaster named "The Hair-brained Scheme", or asking out Brittany Abbindola in college (before she went on to graduate summa cum laude in economics _and_ be featured in a Girls of the Big Sky Valley Plains Gulf 12 Conference calendar).
"We should get these Force3 shinguards!"
"But they're $120!?!!"
"They are comprised of Kevlar, and are exceptionally light and form fitting."
"But they don't have the MLB logo on them like the Wilsons do! Didn't Brian Brandfellow, our umpire mentor in our local association say at the meeting that we should buy nothing but Wilson gear, because that's what the Big Leaguers use??"
... "Didn't the guys on U-E say something about how long your gear is expected to last, though, and that the Force3 shinguards will last you the rest of your career?"
To be fair, I would consider the offerings of Douglas and All-Star and even Wilson when it comes to comparing items such as these. If you're operating in a budget, it's understandable that Champro or Diamond (or Honig's or +POS) guards at $65 become more feasible. However, when you consider that you'll never want to – or need to, barring theft or Tico your Rottweiler chewing them (Bad Tico! Bad!) – purchase any other shin guards again, it becomes remarkably easy to hit the Order button.

Well stated. Using them for the first time tonight! Let's see if they live up to the hype!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so here we go. F3s are AMAZING. So light and snug. They didn't move one bit. Didn't have to adjust the slightest bit. I could move without feeling like Sasquatch. Took one shot and it felt like I bumped into something soft. I am definitely going to get a second pair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Mr Ump said:

Whoever designed the Force 3's got it right. Best shin guards out and they don't have a MLB logo but should have one.

Only if they are willing to pay for it.

1 hour ago, Kevin_K said:

Only if they are willing to pay for it.

That is a grossly inverted structure then, Kevin, that only issues the MLB "Seal of Approval" based on who ponies up the most cash. The NFL did that for years with Riddell and it bit them in the ass. 

That's racketeering at its base definition. Extortion. Pathetic.

I've actually thus far avoided the Force 3 because of the Kevlar, which was mentioned above.  The high strength and stiffness of those fibers come into play when they get stretched (like, when a projectile tries to penetrate the weave in a bullet-proof vest).  Amazing stuff, but alas, that's not going to happen one bit in a shinguard fabric, especially when it's hiding behind the hard shell front of the guard.  It's a gimmick, pure and simple.  (Or, if the designers really think it does somethIng, then that bothers me on a different level.)

Granted, it sounds from folks' reviews that there are some nice design things they've done in other areas.  The scientist part of me however just can't bring myself to reward this with a purchase.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, umptwo said:

I've actually thus far avoided the Force 3 because of the Kevlar, which was mentioned above.  The high strength and stiffness of those fibers come into play when they get stretched (like, when a projectile tries to penetrate the weave in a bullet-proof vest).  Amazing stuff, but alas, that's not going to happen one bit in a shinguard fabric, especially when it's hiding behind the hard shell front of the guard.  It's a gimmick, pure and simple.  (Or, if the designers really think it does somethIng, then that bothers me on a different level.)

Granted, it sounds from folks' reviews that there are some nice design things they've done in other areas.  The scientist part of me however just can't bring myself to reward this with a purchase.

Well, I was a cook in the Navy and those shin guards are incredible.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I got stuck in traffic tonight and was running late. As I went to put on my F3 shins, I realized I was wearing base pants. They fit fine. HTHC was a guy I umpired with last year, said you couldn't even tell. Neither could my partner. I even got them on without pulling my pants down.

On 4/5/2017 at 5:35 AM, umptwo said:

I'd apply your logic to the F3 CP. Had the V1, seen the V2, don't like it. Same with their mask. Have the V1, never use it. Seen the V2, don't like it. 

But these shin guards? Yeah, they're the real deal.