advise

Guest Woe Jest
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2585 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Woe Jest

Worked a USSSA 13U AAA tournament this past weekend. I had an issue with one team's F4. I'd appreciate y'all opinion about how I should have handled it.

R1 stealing F4 gets to 2B late, gloves the throw from F2 behind 2B and is just a bit late on the tag. I safed R1 to all kinds of grief from DT parents. In between innings my partner said that he looked out from there. Next inning, almost the exact same play, but this time I have the tag beating the touch and banged the out. Then another one where F4 took a high throw, but got the tag near enough for me to get the out. In between innings, I'm lamenting to my partner how F4 is making things tough for me. I wondered aloud whether F4 is he's just fv(%ing with me to see how badly I want the out. An inning or so later after a defensive conference,  I asked F4 if he could help me out and quit making those plays so close. He says nah. I say, what?. He says, "nah, I'm not done fv(%ing with you". A few innings later, F4 is in good position to take the throw from F2 and is waiting for stealing R1 to arrive. Waits almost too long (maybe it was too long) to get the tag down, but I bang the out. I look at F4 exasperatingly. He says to me, "I own you". I replied "yes, sir", and trotted back to 'A' position.

How would you have handled this ?

12 answers to this question

A boy owned a dog that was uncommonly shaggy. Many people remarked upon its considerable shagginess. When the boy learned that there are contests for shaggy dogs, he entered his dog. The dog won first prize for shagginess in both the local and the regional competitions. The boy entered the dog in ever-larger contests, until finally he entered it in the world championship for shaggy dogs. When the judges had inspected all of the competing dogs, they remarked about the boy's dog: "He's not that shaggy."

• Like 1

A lot of times kids can/do get under our skin. To me, it sounds like you spent 10 minutes to many worried what this kid thought. Be honest about what you see, make the call, and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A villager owned a bird that he trained over the years to speak 14 languages fluently.  As a gesture of friendship, he gave the bird to a man who was held in high esteem in his village.  A few weeks later, the villager saw the man and asked him how he like the bird.

"Oh, thank you," the man replied. "It was delicious."

Aghast, the villager said, "You... you ate it? I spent most of my life training the bird to talk! He could speak fourteen languages!"

"Well then why didn't he say something?"

• Like 2

13 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

My advice would be to tell the truth and not waste people's time here.

:rollinglaugh:

12 hours ago, Catch18 said:

A lot of times kids can/do get under our skin. To me, it sounds like you spent 10 minutes to many worried what this kid thought. Be honest about what you see, make the call, and move on.

:rollinglaugh:

almost had it.jpg