F2 Warm Up Throws After Starting F2 Ejected On Field

Radie 88
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2589 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Seeing the video in the post at the bottom had me thinking...

How many warm up tosses do you allow a substitute F2 that has to take the field because the starting F2 is ejected while in the field defensively?

This video has no base runners, but I imagine that of some were in, they'd be stealing on the first pitch the sub F2 sees. (Speaking as a past F2, that F1 better try a pickoff before sending on my way)

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

If it were a prolonged interruption like this, I would give the pitcher/catcher three pitches with third one going down.

I would do this to allow the pitcher to get loose again and let the catcher get acclimated. It has as much to do with self-preservation as anything.

A prolonged warm up isn't necessary as everyone had their pre-game.

This is more important at the levels most of us work as opposed to professional ball. A back-up MLB catcher is paid to be ready to go. For youth ball you may now be working with a third stringer as the back up may be the kid pitching.

My $0.02. YMMV.

• Like 1

I would apply this:

Rule 5.10(d) Comment (Rule 3.03 Comment): 

Any player other than a pitcher substituted for an injured
player shall be allowed five warm-up throws. 

(The other option is to discuss allowing warm-ups with th umpire long enough to let the sub warm up.) ;) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

I would apply this:

Rule 5.10(d) Comment (Rule 3.03 Comment): 

Any player other than a pitcher substituted for an injured
player shall be allowed five warm-up throws. 

(The other option is to discuss allowing warm-ups with th umpire long enough to let the sub warm up.) ;) 

Correct in OBR and NCAA.  Not covered in FED.  I've used the same rule in FED when it has happened.