Balk or not

fishnfed
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2567 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Fed rules, R1, R3, and lefthanded pitcher.  After F1 comes set, R1 begins to run, F1 raises his front foot and spins towards 2nd and becomes disengaged from the pitcher's plate.  R1 stops and the pitcher throws to F6 who is moving towards 2nd.  I have no balk since the pitcher came off the rubber, threw to a fielder moving towards the bag and R1 was advancing.  It was a bit odd looking, but that was my thought process.  Anything from the Knowledge Base?  Thanks

5 answers to this question

No balk as long as it was in a continuous motion. That is merely a pivot move, and he didn't need to come off the rubber.

He was attempting to make a play on a runner that seemed to be running.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishnfed said:

Fed rules, R1, R3, and lefthanded pitcher.  After F1 comes set, R1 begins to run, F1 raises his front foot and spins towards 2nd and becomes disengaged from the pitcher's plate.  R1 stops and the pitcher throws to F6 who is moving towards 2nd.  I have no balk since the pitcher came off the rubber, threw to a fielder moving towards the bag and R1 was advancing.  It was a bit odd looking, but that was my thought process.  Anything from the Knowledge Base?  Thanks

I'd b e careful how you use this term.  "Disengages" means "steps back off the rubber before beginning any other motion."  While your pitcher may no longer be in contact with the rubber from a physics standpoint, he has not "disengaged" in the baseball rules sense.

It doesn't really matter in your play, since he's not required to throw to second, but it could matter in other plays.

And, this part is also irrelevant.  Even if F6 had not moved, this would be a legal play.

25 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I'd b e careful how you use this term.  "Disengages" means "steps back off the rubber before beginning any other motion."  While your pitcher may no longer be in contact with the rubber from a physics standpoint, he has not "disengaged" in the baseball rules sense.

It doesn't really matter in your play, since he's not required to throw to second, but it could matter in other plays.

And, this part is also irrelevant.  Even if F6 had not moved, this would be a legal play.

Good point.  I can see that going a long way when a coach comes out to discuss what he saw vs what you saw.  Thanks.

Good replies from the two.

1 hour ago, EMump said:

No balk, so long as he's throwing to F6 to make a play on a runner.

No balk once he stepped toward 2B to drive back the runner. While it's not a dissengage as per the rule, most likely the pitcher dragged his pivot foot off the rubber in the step. He is now considered dissengaged and could run at the runner also.