Odd set position

Mudisfun
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2563 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So watching The ASU/OSU game and saw what to me was a very odd set position... Not questioning it, just sharing it since it was a new one for me...

1aeba4c5597879dfafd2232589061c65.jpg79e4a33a342088f48ee3cb4fa00238a5.jpg760af6f313b58859dee7ac99c011058b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I don't... But he started in the normal stretch, came set in the position shown in the second pic and then proceeded to pitch direct to home... Just looked funny.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I saw a brief clip of it on the Pac12 Network last night. It's weird. Too many pitching coaches with too much time on their hands. Every pitcher for the team I had last weekend had some quirky delivery. They got swept. Figure it out. 

My son and I saw that guy pitch a couple weeks ago and he asked me if that was legal. The real quirk, if it's the same guy, is that he taps the toe of his free foot on the way to coming set, and it's a bit more than just a 'touch' of the ground, almost like he puts it down twice. I answered my son "I guess so, because nobody is calling anything, but certainly gives reason to look for something". Just annoying! 

Unfortunately the next pitch ended the inning so I did not get to see him work multiple pitches. I looked up and saw this and my brain just went WHOH... what is that? 

I understand that this is a college game, but I'm curious about OBR. Rule 5.07(a)(2) reads, in part, "Set Position shall be indicated by the pitcher when he stands facing the batter with his pivot foot in contact with, and his other foot in front of, the pitcher’s plate, holding the ball in both hands in front of his body and coming to a complete stop." Am I missing something?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LRZ said:

I understand that this is a college game, but I'm curious about OBR. Rule 5.07(a)(2) reads, in part, "Set Position shall be indicated by the pitcher when he stands facing the batter with his pivot foot in contact with, and his other foot in front of, the pitcher’s plate, holding the ball in both hands in front of his body and coming to a complete stop." Am I missing something?

He did all of that at the beginning... his stopped/set position was as shown in pic 2.

Since this is NCAA I guess the relevant rulings would need to come from there.

6 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

Do you have a balk in FED if the free foot isn't in front of a line extending through the front edge of the rubber? 

yes...but similar to other discussions on the hybrid or other pitching issues, I'd have to be certain that part of the pivot foot is across that line, I'm not going to Zapruder millimeters. But I'd have to see that because goofy, in and of itself, ain't illegal.

• 4 weeks later...

Legal.

He's trying to get an advantage on R1. He has the opposite problem from most LHP's: most have the free foot toward home, and as they start their pick move are at risk of moving toward the plate and balking.

He is lined up toward 1B, so if he moves toward 1B and then pitches, that would be a balk.

37 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

At :52, it seems his shoulders are facing HP and then he comes set. Why would this not be a balk?

Because that's his windup.  He steps "closed" as opposed to stepping "open" like most.  That first step commits him to pitch.