Register or Sign In to remove these ads
beerguy55

Can I please get a brief rundown of FED baseball courtesy runner info?

In the spirit of speeding up the game between innings, any league/tournament in softball/baseball I ever played/coached in (in Canada) allowed F2 (never F1) to have a courtesy runner, and only with two outs - and that courtesy runner was/is the player in the batting lineup furthest from the batter who wasn't on base (not the "last out" as many people think).  The sole purpose to allow the catcher to get their equipment on before the third out occurs.   Bench players can't be courtesy runners.  This is true in Softball Canada today, and it was true in Little League baseball when I played 30 years ago. 

This would be thrown out the window when we go to US tourneys (the only ones I remember are ASA/NSA tourneys - I last played a US baseball tournament in Syracuse 30+ years ago, and my memory fails me to how it worked), and we would be allowed to use courtesy runners for F1/F2, with any number of outs, but they would be bench players, not starting nine. The exception being "friendly" tournaments where they allow everyone to bat - then the "furthest from batter"  rule would apply.

Courtesy Runners from the bench is potentially a great way to get more players into the game, but I never got familiar with the intricacies of the US rules - mainly because with the teams I coached the past six seasons, my fastest three base runners were my starting catcher and top two pitchers, so we rarely took advantage of the courtesy runner - we rarely had a bench player who was faster than the player on base...and many times I only had one or two players on the bench.

I guess the first question being - is this universal, or does it differ by state?

1. If a team only has nine players can they use courtesy runners?

2. If a courtesy runner enters the game, does that preclude them from subbing in for another player later in the game?  And if they can, can a new courtesy runner be assigned the F1/F2?

3. Can a subbed out player now become a courtesy runner?

4. Is the courtesy runner associated with the player, or the position?

5. Is F1/F2 determined by where they were when the past defensive inning ended?  Or could an unscrupulous HC announce that the really fat batter who reached first base is now the catcher?

Thanks in advance

1.  No

2. No -- except the CR cannot become an offensive player in that same inning (unless there's an injury and he's the only sub).  Yes

3. No -- the CR needs to be someone who has not yet been in the game (except as a CR)

4. Position

5. Last inning (unless it's the top of the first and then it's the linup card)

2 minutes ago, noumpere said:

5. Last inning (unless it's the top of the first and then it's the linup card)

Commonly known as the Pitcher or Catcher of Record.

53 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

I guess the first question being - is this universal, or does it differ by state?

CR rules are in the (baseball) rule book (at the end, after rule 10).

Unlike substitutions, CR's are not intended to increase participation, but rather to speed up the game.

One thing not brought up here - you can have multiple CR's for the same player.

e.g., let's say player CR1 runs for F1 in the first inning, and then CR2 runs for F2 in the first inning.

In the third inning, it's acceptable for CR3 to run for F1, even if CR1 still hasn't been used as a sub.

Then in the 6th inning, CR1 can run for the current F1 again.

As long as they haven't been used as a sub or as a CR for another position, they can CR (so CR2 couldn't run for F1 in the 6th inning - if he's going to CR, it must be for F2).

3 hours ago, kylehutson said:

One thing not brought up here - you can have multiple CR's for the same player.

e.g., let's say player CR1 runs for F1 in the first inning, and then CR2 runs for F2 in the first inning.

In the third inning, it's acceptable for CR3 to run for F1, even if CR1 still hasn't been used as a sub.

Then in the 6th inning, CR1 can run for the current F1 again.

As long as they haven't been used as a sub or as a CR for another position, they can CR (so CR2 couldn't run for F1 in the 6th inning - if he's going to CR, it must be for F2).

And CR1 and CR2 or another legal CR can  replace each other on the bases during an inning. 

A CR can be used at any time during the inning. They don't have to used right away when the Pitcher/Catcher reaches 1B.

One other subtle condition...The CR cannot have been in the game prior to being a CR.In other words, it's not "any bench player". It's a player who hasn't been in the game in any other capacity. Once a guy who has been a CR has played in the game, he cannot CR again in the game even if he has been removed and is back on the bench.

Wow. OK. Let's just get this out of the way.

COURTESY RUNNERS

1. At any time, the team at bat may use courtesy runners for the pitcher and/or the catcher. In the event that the offensive team bats around, the pitcher and/or catcher who had a courtesy runner inserted on their behalf may bat in their normal position in the batting order.

2. The same individual runner may not be used for both positions (pitcher and catcher) during the game.

3. Neither the pitcher nor the catcher will be required to leave the game under such circumstances.

4. Players who have participated in the game in any other capacity are ineligible to serve as courtesy runners.

5. A player may not run as a courtesy runner for the pitcher or the catcher and then be used as a substitute for another player in that half inning. If an injury, illness or ejection occurs and no other runners are available, the courtesy runner may be used as a substitute.

6. The umpire-in-chief shall record courtesy runner participation and also announce it to the scorer.

7. A player who violates the courtesy-runner rule is considered to be an illegal substitute.

a. Should an injury, illness or ejection occur to the courtesy runner, another courtesy runner for the pitcher or catcher may run.

All this doesn't account for FED 8-6-3 which states:

1. After any legal courtesy runner enters the game, the umpire shall not put the ball in play until the following criteria are met:

a. The current day of the week begins with either the letter "T" or "S," and the day of the month ends in any prime number.

b. The courtesy runner may be no more than 6' 7.43" tall and no shorter than 4' 3.2".

c.  His last name must not end in the letters "X," "Z," or "K," and neither his first nor last name may rhyme with "Ptarmigan."

d. His left and right legs may not differ from each other in length by more than 1.33".

e. He cannot be a Taylor Swift fan, nor be able to correctly sing more than two lines from any Katy Perry song.

f. Upon taking his position on base, he must shout out the day's date in metric.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, maven said:

Wow. OK. Let's just get this out of the way.

So is it just understood you have to use a sub as a courtesy runner if you have one? I had a team last night go crazy and parents yelling "it's make up rules night" because I told the coach since he had subs listed on the lineup card he had to use one of the subs as a CR (he was attempting to use his speedy shortstop). I thought it explicitly stated it had to be a sub if available. 

Note: It has been explained in our association (and the middle school league the game was in) that if you have a sub you have to use that as a CR. If you don't have any, it's the last out that was made. 

28 minutes ago, S0M0TEITBE said:

So is it just understood you have to use a sub as a courtesy runner if you have one? I had a team last night go crazy and parents yelling "it's make up rules night" because I told the coach since he had subs listed on the lineup card he had to use one of the subs as a CR (he was attempting to use his speedy shortstop). I thought it explicitly stated it had to be a sub if available. 

Note: It has been explained in our association (and the middle school league the game was in) that if you have a sub you have to use that as a CR. If you don't have any, it's the last out that was made. 

If this is, indeed, using FED rules (several youth-ball rulesets have different CR rules), then not only does it need to be a sub, but it can't be a player who has played. From @maven's post above:

4. Players who have participated in the game in any other capacity are ineligible to serve as courtesy runners.

If they don't have anybody who is a sub, they can't use a CR at all.

6 hours ago, S0M0TEITBE said:

It sounds like you're mixing up club/local rules with FED. FED CR is explicit. If you don't have a guy on the bench who hasn't played, then you cant courtesy run. 

Whenever I do club/rec/travel games,I make it a point to go over CR rules at the plate meeting. There are so many variations of the CR rules around my parts that this is a must.

Pitcher and catcher, or catcher only?

only with 2 outs or any time?

only a bench player?

only a player who hasn't been in the game?

Last batted out if no bench players?

That's just some variations.