FED: Courtesy Runner

FleasOf1000Camels
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2569 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, FleasOf1000Camels said:

NFHS rules allow courtesy runner for f1/f2 IF adopted by state association.

Just curious to see which states do/don't allow.

Ohio: NO

Not exactly.

League games may not use CR or any other speed-up rules.

Non-league games may use CR (and other speed-up rules) IF the coaches agree to it prior to the game.

See the OHSAA Baseball Manual, p. 21.

12 hours ago, maven said:

Not exactly.

League games may not use CR or any other speed-up rules.

Non-league games may use CR (and other speed-up rules) IF the coaches agree to it prior to the game.

See the OHSAA Baseball Manual, p. 21.

What do you mean by League Games?

We have districts (like conferences) and non-district games.

We use allow CR's in TN regardless and never ask the coaches prior.

If a KY team comes down to play a TN team, they abide by our speed up rules.

38 minutes ago, VolUmp said:

What do you mean by League Games?

We have districts (like conferences) and non-district games.

We use CR's in TN regardless and never ask the coaches prior.

If a KY team comes down to play a TN team, they abide by our speed up rules.

League games are the ones that count towards conference standings, as I understand it. It may or may not be with other teams in the conference, though - they might in smaller conferences, but the main suburban conference in the central OH area has 32 schools - so not every game is a league game. 

Even though non-league games can use CR and other speed up rules, I haven't really seen it done all that much at all. Summer/non-school? Commonplace.

9 hours ago, maven said:

Teams belong to leagues and conferences in Ohio. A league game is a game against an opponent in the same league or conference.

Depending on the size of the league, those constitute roughly half of an average team's season.

OK.  Your leagues are = to our Districts.  And the number of District games is also about half of a team's regular season in Tennessee.

10 minutes ago, chadozee said:

IL - Yes

Any idea how long ago this was?  The IBB is currently (and has been, for as long as I can recall) a standard FED rule ... not found in the back section of the Rules Book under, "Suggested Speed-Up Rules" which is page 64 in the 2017 edition.

9 hours ago, VolUmp said:

Any idea how long ago this was?  The IBB is currently (and has been, for as long as I can recall) a standard FED rule ... not found in the back section of the Rules Book under, "Suggested Speed-Up Rules" which is page 64 in the 2017 edition.

I believe that chadozee was responding to the general question of 'does your state do CR?'....as @noumpere notes, it's not a speed-up rule in the back section, it's an explicit playing rule in rule 8, as well as the definition of base on balls in rule 2.