DH enter game to pitch

sthomas13100
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2584 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

NFHS Rules;  DH in 7 hole for catcher, pitcher in 9 hole.  6th inning, coach enters the DH into the game to pitch.  So, I'm thinking the catcher is scratched and as a starter he has re-entry privileges.

However, the catcher remains on defense and the (former) pitcher goes to the dugout.  Since the catcher and (former DH/new pitcher) are both batting in the 7th hole, I don't think this is a proper substitution.  I was there watching and no one said a word that I could hear.  The DH (new pitcher) continued batting in the 7th hole and the catcher never came up to bat, the old pitcher continued in the 9th spot.  Now, the 9 hole did strike out, so maybe this is why no one ever said anything, but I still think this was handled wrong.

I think the catcher should have gone to the bench and would not be available until the new pitcher was replaced.  A sub could be made for the old pitcher and became the catcher, batting in the 9th spot.

The way I understand the HS DH rule, 2 players doing 1/2 of the duty as a player.  Once one does the other, then that player is now in the batting order, solo.  Re-entry rule applies to both, but must re-enter in the same batting order. 

So finally my question, should the umpire not allowed the catcher to remain on the field?  Or is this something the opposing team must protest?

10 minutes ago, sthomas13100 said:

So finally my question, should the umpire not allowed the catcher to remain on the field?  Or is this something the opposing team must protest?

THis.  Given that it didn't happen, then the defense can make it known and the penalty for an illegal sub will be applied.

NFHS Rules;  DH in 7 hole for catcher, pitcher in 9 hole.  6th inning, coach enters the DH into the game to pitch.  So, I'm thinking the catcher is scratched and as a starter he has re-entry privileges.
However, the catcher remains on defense and the (former) pitcher goes to the dugout.  Since the catcher and (former DH/new pitcher) are both batting in the 7th hole, I don't think this is a proper substitution.  I was there watching and no one said a word that I could hear.  The DH (new pitcher) continued batting in the 7th hole and the catcher never came up to bat, the old pitcher continued in the 9th spot.  Now, the 9 hole did strike out, so maybe this is why no one ever said anything, but I still think this was handled wrong.
I think the catcher should have gone to the bench and would not be available until the new pitcher was replaced.  A sub could be made for the old pitcher and became the catcher, batting in the 9th spot.
The way I understand the HS DH rule, 2 players doing 1/2 of the duty as a player.  Once one does the other, then that player is now in the batting order, solo.  Re-entry rule applies to both, but must re-enter in the same batting order. 

What state are you in? I heard that Florida is using a version of the NCAA DH rule in their HS games.@Jaxrolo should be able to verify that

You shouldn't have allowed the substitution.  When you say the coach "enters the DH in the game to pitch" - how did this transpire?  Normally, the coach will go to the umpire to give his changes, which is the time you would have asked who the DH was subbing for on defense.  When he said the former pitcher, then you should have told him that the new pitcher (former DH) and the catcher (whom he was batting for) cannot be on defense at the same time since they occupy the same spot in the batting order.

Grayhawk, I was watching this game from the stands.  I still have a son playing in HS, but never do his games.  But if this ever happens to me, I wanted to be prepared.  I like your verbiage.

Still using your old shin guards by the way, made a slight modification to them.  The hard plastic now sit closer to the top of my plate shoes.

32 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

So not only is the DH locked into the batting order, the player who he's batting for is also locked into that slot in the batting order? Is that the same for OBR?

Yes.

Kinda, but in OBR, the DH must bat for F1. Plus some other differences (see 5.11).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maven said:

Yes.

Kinda, but in OBR, the DH must bat for F1. Plus some other differences (see 5.11).

3 hours ago, Stk004 said:

So not only is the DH locked into the batting order, the PITCHER who he's batting for is also locked into that slot in the batting order? Is that the same for OBR?

In OBR the player who would have been a pitcher can end up in a different slot in the batting order than the DH slot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimurray said:

In OBR the player who would have been a pitcher can end up in a different slot in the batting order than the DH slot.

That's what I thought. I'm new to FED so I must have missed that part my first time through the rule book.

Last night district opener, my partner asked VHC about the F1/DH slot on the line-up card but only one name. VHC asked if he could designate him later. :HS ... ah, no, you have to designate him now. OK, then we'll go without the DH. Later, it dawns me that they tried to keep stud F1/stud batter/unstud glove as the DH after done pitching (allowed in college, I believe). Nice catch partner. 

On 3/14/2017 at 2:24 PM, ALStripes17 said:

What state are you in? I heard that Florida is using a version of the NCAA DH rule in their HS games.@Jaxrolo should be able to verify that

FLorida uses P/DH were the Pitcher can be his own DH. If he gets taken out of the game he can still bat. Rarely used.

• Like 1