Do you have the same? Part Duex

taa71458
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2593 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'll tell the 1st Base coach that unless he wants me to start waving his runners around he'll need to stop using umpire signals.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

It doesn't bother me at all. I was U3 in a HS tourney championship game on Friday and there was a play at third where the 3b coach was signaling safe before I banged the runner out.

I just said, "thanks for the help though" and he laughed and said "I've got to at least try."

There's no reason this can't be fun.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

Don't be that guy. 

The real problem with wise-cracks, smart-assery, and in general any kind of irony on the field is that pulling that off depends a lot on the umpire, the relationship the umpire has with the coach, the game situation, and 79 other variables. Some guys can always pull it off, some guys never can, and some can make it work under some circumstances.

As a general rule, irony is ill-advised for most game officials, most of the time. If you've been around long enough to have earned it, then you'll know when and how to use it.

• Like 5

Good point Maven I shouldn't just throw this out without the context you mention. I have had the exact discussion I joked about above with coaches who know me and who would take it as a friendly reminder not to get too carried away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maven said:

The real problem with wise-cracks, smart-assery, and in general any kind of irony on the field is that pulling that off depends a lot on the umpire, the relationship the umpire has with the coach, the game situation, and 79 other variables. Some guys can always pull it off, some guys never can, and some can make it work under some circumstances.

As a general rule, irony is ill-advised for most game officials, most of the time. If you've been around long enough to have earned it, then you'll know when and how to use it.

As I tell my JR umpires in LL (14-17 year old umpires), do as I say, not as I do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

As I tell my JR umpires in LL (14-17 year old umpires), do as I say, not as I do.

Now you just sound like somebody's dad. :D

That's both too much and not enough advice, unfortunately.

It's too much advice, because we grow as officials over time, especially regarding game management, which takes the longest to learn. An official who rigidly complies with the basics as taught in the class — doing as I say — will fail to grow and be generally inflexible on the field or court.

It's not enough advice because newer officials need to know that there will come a time when they can express their personality, sense of humor, etc. in situationally appropriate ways. But that time is not their first year, and it requires mastery of the basics of rules, mechanics, and game management in order to be grounded in mutual respect from all parties.

In the manner in which it was presented here, I concur.  I go into much more detail with them as far as what they should and shouldn't do, but was trying to finish my lunch and didn't type out all of the details for your viewing pleasure.

28 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

In the manner in which it was presented here, I concur.  I go into much more detail with them as far as what they should and shouldn't do, but was trying to finish my lunch and didn't type out all of the details for your viewing pleasure.

200.gif

• Like 1

15 hours ago, S0M0TEITBE said:

Ok I'll bite...what am I missing? I see the coach say safe, then the umpire signal out? But why?

Because, sometimes, for reasons unknown, an umpire sees something that nobody else sees.  Sometimes when they see something nobody else sees, they're right.  And other times, they're wrong.

Nobody remembers the times the umpire was right.

16 hours ago, KenBAZ said:

I'll tell the 1st Base coach that unless he wants me to start waving his runners around he'll need to stop using umpire signals.

I've said something to the coach when working solo and they're yelling "safe" on a play. I can only remember doing it once. I just said to him between innings "hey, I'm the only umpire out here, if the players hear you, they might think that was the call and then it would be a problem" Otherwise, I don't think it's a big deal if someone does it.

17 hours ago, taa71458 said:

I saw this on FB and someone said that they thought maybe it was a blowout and everyone wanted it over, because the coach doesn't seem to react.

The discussion was that this is the wrong way though, that he should call her safe, then the coaches would typically tell the player to lead off, they'd get banged for it for the out, but it wouldn't count against their BA/OBP.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, udbrky said:

I've said something to the coach when working solo and they're yelling "safe" on a play. I can only remember doing it once. I just said to him between innings "hey, I'm the only umpire out here, if the players hear you, they might think that was the call and then it would be a problem" Otherwise, I don't think it's a big deal if someone does it.

Same here... last season, JV game and the 3rd base coach was making calls. Asked him politely not to do so as it just looked bad, especially if I agreed with his call and worse when I banged them out.

• Like 1

My guess is 

55 minutes ago, udbrky said:

I saw this on FB and someone said that they thought maybe it was a blowout and everyone wanted it over, because the coach doesn't seem to react.

The discussion was that this is the wrong way though, that he should call her safe, then the coaches would typically tell the player to lead off, they'd get banged for it for the out, but it wouldn't count against their BA/OBP.

My guess is it could be this, or, since the video is cut off so quickly that it's probably a joke. 

Really only posted because it's funny on the surface and I'm ready for baseball to start. Texted it to a buddy of mine who I do a lot of games with and said we wouldn't have any games over 60 minutes this spring. 

Just now, taa71458 said:

My guess is 

My guess is it could be this, or, since the video is cut off so quickly that it's probably a joke. 

Really only posted because it's funny on the surface and I'm ready for baseball to start. Texted it to a buddy of mine who I do a lot of games with and said we wouldn't have any games over 60 minutes this spring. 

Found this discussion from a guy that knows the guy 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, udbrky said:

Exactly what I do in blowouts.  (or tell the player to miss home plate)  I would never ask or expect an umpire to make this call.