jwclubbie

In game injuries to umpires

Strained my calf this past Thursday pretty good in Top 2 of a college game (luckily was PU) on a rotation to third base. Finished the game with zero mobility, but am shelved for 2 weeks per Dr. recommendations (going to try and make it only 1). Really frustrating because I had to sit out of a 3 game conference series this past weekend, and missing this week, but I do not want to jeopardize rest of season and my summer.

What types of injuries and time off have some of you guys had to endure and get through?

Have you tried getting a lacrosse ball and rolling it?

Last spring, solo FR game with a strained knee, pulled the other hammy in T1, worked for a week like that before both heeled

Partially torn achilles in a game and had to take off for a month and a half.  Learned as I got older I need to stretch.

Bruised a meniscus stepping in a hole in the batter's box. Finished the game then was on crutches and in an immobilzation brace for three weeks.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Concussion with a broken tooth (Molar) from a hit under the mask. The ball was in the dirt and came up off from the catcher's arm as he was trying to block it.

Thought I had my arms tucked in, but a foul ball caught me flush on the forearm. I thought my arm was broken but finished last half inning. I had to be helped out of my plate gear and immediately drove to ER. ER x-ray showed no break, but traumatic tissue damage. My arm went black from the elbow to my fingertips. To this day I have a flat spot on my forearm. This took months to heal....  

IMG_1350.PNG

4 minutes ago, Stan W. said:

Thought I had my arms tucked in, but a foul ball caught me flush on the forearm. I thought my arm was broken but finished last half inning. I had to be helped out of my plate gear and immediately drove to ER. ER x-ray showed no break, but traumatic tissue damage. My arm went black from the elbow to my fingertips. To this day I have a flat spot on my forearm. This took months to heal....  

IMG_1350.PNG

What level Stan? 

broken radius.  plate and 11 screws.  Out 3 months.

detached retina (it's unclear the extent to which this was actually caused by umpiring -- but it sure didn't help)

I've had the same strained calf - I was BU (4th inning maybe?) and talked to my partner, told him he might have to cover for me if I couldn't get where I needed to go, and finished the rest of the game pegleg-style.

Listen to the doctor - I was hurting bad enough I thought I might be out for the rest of the season, but was back on the field 10 days later.

Torn calf muscle.  Senior LL Sectional tournament.  I'm U1.  Top 1st ball to gap, I start in to pivot.  When I loaded up to take off, it tore.  communicated to partners that I was unable to rotate in coverage and finished the game.  When I took my sock off, blood was already pooling in my heel.  Doc said if I had tore it anymore (or again), it would need repaired surgically.  Still have the indent in the muscle.....where it isn't.

18 hours ago, ElkOil said:

I have never been injured in a baseball game, but baseball games HAVE BEEN INJURED BY ME.

@ElkOil you know you jinxed yourself now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ElkOil said:

BRING IT!!

...and we all wish you a speedy recovery in advance.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ricka56 said:

I once had a bone in my leg...gutted it out the last 4 innings.

Is it hard locking in at the plate without bones in your legs?

5 hours ago, ricka56 said:

I once had a bone in my leg...gutted it out the last 4 innings.

Well, I have had multiple bones in both of my legs for every game I've umpired.

2 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

Well, I have had multiple bones in both of my legs for every game I've umpired.

oh, you poor bastid...and you finished them all ? ...you stud.  

1 minute ago, ricka56 said:

you stud

Well, you know, some guys got it and some guys don't.

2 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

Never heard that expression before

My wife so wishes she hadn't either. 

• Like 1