Register or Sign In to remove these ads
conbo61

Insect repellent

They are forecasting a Nor'Easter here for Monday night into Tuesday (figures - first game is supposed to be on Wednesday).

When dreaming of the hot humid days of summer it got me wondering what insect repellents you found work well.  

I want to try one of those no/low DEET products and was looking for feedback from those in the know.

Thank you.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

I like DEET.

I learned some years ago how DEET works. Biting insects find prey by navigating the plume of warm, moist air above our heads. They fly down the plume, turning around if they fly out of it, and at the end: dinner.

DEET functions by sending a message to an insect's nervous system. As the bug flies down the plume and approaches us, it encounters the DEET. Its nervous system registers, "You have just left the plume." So it turns around and flies the other way, effectively repelled.

Better living through organic chemistry.

• Like 2

I don't think anything works better than DEET. It's been misunderstood over the years, but it's safe and really does work.

Personally, I hate to use deet cause it's known to have some pretty bad side effects on occasion. Instead, I prefer to use alternative deet free repellents.

Best of all, most of the deet free options tend to be all natural, work really well, and even provide some overall health benefits. I personally like to use lavender oil but there are tons of options without deet. Found some more just looking online, even talks about lavender oil a bit..

http://thesurvivaljournal.com/7-natural-mosquito-repellents/

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I'm hearing that DEET causes autism.

:rolleyes:

Ah, Mad Scientist @maven, hold on there...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEET#Effects_on_materials

Quote: "DEET is an effective solvent,[7] and may dissolve some watch crystals,[4] plasticsrayonspandex, other synthetic fabrics, and painted or varnished surfaces including nail polish."

And what comprises most of our nice, expensive umpire gear? Yup, spandex, plastics, and synthetic fabrics. Me, I prefer eucalyptus -based insect repellant. While we carried varying strengths of DEET at REI, we were also proponents of Eucalyptus-based repellants in light of the very expensive outdoors gear we sold that had plastic or synthetic composition.

Old soldier here.  I've learned that mosquitoes are the deadliest animals on Earth.  DEET has protected service personnel from mosquitoes and other biting insects all over the world since WWII.  It also doubles as an effective additive to the can of peanut butter found in the old C-rats to make a suitable source of fuel to heat up the main course.  It does have side effects, but only in California.  And, frankly, California has many other more serious chemicals to be concerned about.     

15 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

Do what the Maine lumberjacks did:  eat a lot of garlic.

You're not married, are you?

9 hours ago, kylehutson said:

You're not married, are you?

:lol:

Almost no mosquitoes or black flies where I am.   Haven't used bug spray in years.   ;)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.