Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Donny7

2017 NFHS Baseball Rule Book - ERRORS

THE FOLLOWING BULLETIN WAS EMAILED TO ALL TEXAS MEMBERS TODAY - March 10, 2017

Please see #3 below... I wish ALL State Associations would do this. Do you know of any that have?

To: TASO Baseball Umpire Membership
Subject: Baseball Weekly Bulletin 17-1

The 2017 high school Baseball season is upon us. I hope that for every one of you, it will be the season you each hope it to be. Your hard work and diligent efforts over the last few months is most appreciated as you prepared for the games to begin. We have some of the best baseball played in the nation and I am glad we have the officiating to match.
We started the first two weeks of the season rather quietly with little for me to pass on, but this last week did provide some material. Please remember to provide me with any issues, situations, concerns, etc. you may have. It is most helpful.

Well, let’s start with bats; it has been some time since we needed to do that.
1)    Easton Lock n Load. We reported to many of you back in January that the Easton Lock n Load bat, while not legal for NCAA play, was allowed for high school games. The concern was that the NCAA was not going to allow the BBCOR logo to be on the bat. So we told everyone in January, that the bat was legal for high school play despite not having a BBCOR logo on the bat. Now, after some deliberation, the NCAA has allowed, despite the bat still not legal for their games, the BBCOR logo to be placed on the barrel of the Lock n Load bat. I am not sure how many bats without the logo have been sold, but the bottom line now is with or without the BBCOR logo, the EASTON Lock n Load bat is approved for high school play.
2)    Illegal bat reporting. Some concern has arisen that the incident rate for BBCOR bats being altered (rolled or shaved) is higher than previously thought. To begin to understand the true extent of this possibility, all baseball umpires in Texas are being asked to do the following upon discovery of an illegal bat: a) continue to enforce the applicable rules, rule 7-4-1a for the batter and 4-3-3b penalty for a coach, and b) complete the UIL incident report that can be found on the TASO website. This data collection will provide the ability to better determine illegal bat use.
3)    2017 Rule Change 3-2-2 and 8-4-2s. As you will remember, these rules were changed and added to show that if a coach physically assists a baserunner, it is no longer interference or a delayed dead ball. We simply have an out at the time of the infraction and play continues. Unfortunately, rule 5-1-2f and the Dead Ball Table item 10 on “After Infraction, Ball Not Dead Until Umpire Calls Time” were not deleted. Please line through those rule portions as they are no longer applicable. We will correct this omission in the next rulebook.
4)    Third to first pick-off move. As a reminder, in high school rules, the third to first pick-off move, when done in compliance with the rule, is still a legal move. We have had 3 reported balks with the only reason being is it was a third to first move.
5)    Play Cards. As with last year, the use of play cards on players is legal provided they are worn on the players arm. Wearing of the play card on the belt is not legal.  
6)    Protection of Players in an unprotected area. Rule 3-3-4 mandates that whenever players are warming up in an unprotected area within the confines of the field, another team member must be positioned between them and the batter to protect them from a batted or thrown ball. This player is required to have a glove, but it is not mandatory for him to wear a helmet. We have had two incidents in the last two weeks where one coach was restricted to the bench for not having this player wear a helmet and another where the team, having limited helmets, could not have a player on-deck warming up because the umpire required the player protecting the catcher and pitcher to wear a helmet.

Register or Sign In to remove these ads
19 minutes ago, Donny7 said:

6)    Protection of Players in an unprotected area. Rule 3-3-4 mandates that whenever players are warming up in an unprotected area within the confines of the field, another team member must be positioned between them and the batter to protect them from a batted or thrown ball. This player is required to have a glove, but it is not mandatory for him to wear a helmet. We have had two incidents in the last two weeks where one coach was restricted to the bench for not having this player wear a helmet and another where the team, having limited helmets, could not have a player on-deck warming up because the umpire required the player protecting the catcher and pitcher to wear a helmet.

I realize FED relaxed the helmet rule for protecting players ... and it's a stupid relaxation of the rule.  The whole purpose was not to protect the protector from a foul ball, but to protect the protector from an errant throw from the P/C duo warming up to his backside.  No, we can't restrict a coach over this, but we can gently recommend that the protector wear a helmet out of common sense.

8 hours ago, VolUmp said:

I realize FED relaxed the helmet rule for protecting players ... and it's a stupid relaxation of the rule.  The whole purpose was not to protect the protector from a foul ball, but to protect the protector from an errant throw from the P/C duo warming up to his backside.  No, we can't restrict a coach over this, but we can gently recommend that the protector wear a helmet out of common sense.

I don't recall FED requiring a helmet for the protector in the last eleven years. When was it relaxed?

9 hours ago, VolUmp said:

No, we can't restrict a coach over this, but we can gently recommend that the protector wear a helmet out of common sense.

Stay out of this one...coaches will either view it as a mandate or a reason to accuse you of interjecting yourself where you don't belong.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jimurray said:

My apologies... My intent was to show that the official 2017 NFHS Rulebook errors were corrected in this bulletin sent out by the Texas Rules Interpreter to all members. In hindsight I should have just included #3.

I do still have the question... Did any other states notify their membership?

Obviously this has brought about a lot of confusion. I saw in another thread a caseplay relating to this modified rule where you (Jimurray) quoted the rules that are no longer applicable and should be struck. So it has been one of those that could bite anyone... and has.