Tips/Advice Regarding Stance

S0M0TEITBE
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2597 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I have spoken to a few members through PM but just to give some background I started umpiring when I was around 14/15 and did so for about 4 years before going into the Navy. After about a 3 year break and once I got to know who I needed to know I umpired again where I was stationed for about 4 years and then had another 8 year lull because of kids, etc. 

This is my first year back after that 8 year break and granted I am obviously older than I was back then the past few games I've noticed something. I really noticed it last weekend I had a double header and ended up doing both behind the plate (both games went full 7). I didn't really notice during the games but once I got in the car and got home my left shoulder was killing me (that spot where people like to grab a pinch that makes some people go to their knees, and I'm one of them). And it's only on the left side. 

So im thinking it has to be something in my stance or something I am doing wrong because I've noticed it even after one game behind the plate. I know it may be hard to tell without a picture or video of my stance but didn't know if anyone ran into something similar when you first started out or happen to know someone that was complaining of the same thing and you were able to see on them what may be causing it. I just know I never use to have this problem. I use to do a lot of the 7-10 games a day travel ball tournaments with no issues. 

Just don't tell me it's old age :lol::lol:

Thanks in advance for any input and hope this was the appropriate section.

• Like 1

Well, at the risk of telling you something you asked me not to tell you, age may very well be a factor.  Umpiring is an athletic pursuit, and we need the proper conditioning to get through our games and seasons. I recommend an exercise regimen, or at least a conditioning regimen that builds muscles and endurance in key areas like your legs, back, shoulders and neck.

And change up your stance, too. Experiment with foot positions, hands on knees, hands off knees, heel-toe, etc. etc. Sometimes small changes yield big results.

58 minutes ago, S0M0TEITBE said:

I have spoken to a few members through PM but just to give some background I started umpiring when I was around 14/15 and did so for about 4 years before going into the Navy. After about a 3 year break and once I got to know who I needed to know I umpired again where I was stationed for about 4 years and then had another 8 year lull because of kids, etc. 

This is my first year back after that 8 year break and granted I am obviously older than I was back then the past few games I've noticed something. I really noticed it last weekend I had a double header and ended up doing both behind the plate (both games went full 7). I didn't really notice during the games but once I got in the car and got home my left shoulder was killing me (that spot where people like to grab a pinch that makes some people go to their knees, and I'm one of them). And it's only on the left side. 

So im thinking it has to be something in my stance or something I am doing wrong because I've noticed it even after one game behind the plate. I know it may be hard to tell without a picture or video of my stance but didn't know if anyone ran into something similar when you first started out or happen to know someone that was complaining of the same thing and you were able to see on them what may be causing it. I just know I never use to have this problem. I use to do a lot of the 7-10 games a day travel ball tournaments with no issues. 

Just don't tell me it's old age :lol::lol:

Thanks in advance for any input and hope this was the appropriate section.

From an old Chief, As you get older you won't believe the little things your body puts you through.  I never used to stretch before a game until I tore my Achilles.  Well, just a few minutes will help in that area.  When you're in the slot are you having to cock your head at a weird angle?  If you're doing this and working those 5 games a day tournaments, that may be a reason.  Have one of the experienced umpires, hopefully a good one, and see what they think.  Maybe work with your catchers so that you don't have to be at a bad angle to your head.  Are you still in the Navy? If so, what do you do?  A lot of retired military guys on here, including some of us old retired Chiefs.

Full disclosure: I'm not a health professional, but I can pretend to be on the Internet.  My only qualification is that I've experienced a couple decades of season openers. So, take the following with your BS Alarm's volume turned way down. 

Starting a new season, lower neck pain may be your body telling you that it is doing something that it has not done in a while.  And, that the pain manifested itself more so on the left shoulder side than the right, may indicate your head is poorly aligned to the left more often than to the right (RH hitters appear more frequently than LH in most amateur games). 

Some things to consider in no order:

(1) A knowledge bump with a search on the Internet to trusted sites, such as: 

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/neck-pain/basics/definition/CON-20028772

(2) You may be holding that suspended 12+lb. noggin of yours out too far.  In other words, you may be leaning into the slot too far.  Try to "sit back on the edge of the chair" when you lock in your stance which may adjust the vertical alignment of your head, neck and back.

(3) Your body is adapting to your mask's weight too quickly.  During warm-up stretches (and always stretch before and after your game/s), do your neck rolls with your mask on 

(4) On RH hitters, move your right foot forward a tad so your head doesn't turn to the left so much. 

(5) Touch base with your provider's nurse.  Say I sent you.

You might consider having someone record you at various times in your games and analyze what you are doing. Often we do things that we do not recognize as we do them. 

This winter I received a video from some cage work and I never knew that from time to time I swayed my hips from side to side between pitches prior to locking in. It is now a part of my consciousness and I remember to not do that.

As an added benefit, you could upload some of the video and receive constructive criticism from the community.

That happened to me yesterday too!!!

I think, in my case, it was because the new F3 harness is a little tight, but it was only my left shoulder that hurt. After reading some of the posts here, I'm thinking I ended up leaning with my head more than I should have. Some of those batters really stuck their hands out there. 

I appreciate all the feedback. I had a double header this morning and while I only did one behind the plate I didn't have hardly any pain like I did the other day. I tried to be conscious of some of the advice here...including doing some neck rolls with my mask on. 

And as soon as I can talk one of my kids in going with me and recording me I don't mind a bit to upload a video. I've never been one to shy away from constructive criticism. If I am doing something wrong or can do something better I want to know. EVERYONE can always improve...no matter what level we are at IMO.