Passed ball lodged into fence w/ runner at 2B

Guest Guest ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2590 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Guest ump

Wild pitch / Passed ball lodges into fence (or padding)  w/ runner at 2B..  dead ball and award 1 base, if the runner failed to advance on the past ball? 

Or is this a 2 base award?     

Maybe someone would be kind enough to explain an easy way to remember 1 base and 2 base awards? 

14 answers to this question

The other part is to recognize where the award is from.  Issues with a pitch, time of pitch.  In the field it could be time of throw or when the ball enters dead ball territory.

Unfortunately I do not have my rule book with table handy.

Things to remember:

Time Of Pitch is NOT the moment the ball leaves pitcher's hand, but is the instant when he initiates any action that commits him to deliver.

A thrown ball that enters dead-ball territory (including being wedged in backstop or fence) will always award bases to all runners, regardless of whether or not they were attempting to advance.

Awards are NOT accumulative.  Ex: ball 4 is a wild pitch that goes to DBT...batter is only awarded 1st base...we've all heard some knucklehead argue that batter gets first on the walk, then second on the wild pitch...NO, 1 base only.

1 base from time of pitch to all runners if it was a pitch or a pick-off throw from the pitcher while engaged on the rubber.

2 bases from time of pitch if thrown by an infielder (including the pitcher acting as an infielder...NOT engaged) on the initial throw of any play.

2 bases from time of throw if thrown by an outfielder OR thrown by an anyone on the 2nd or subsequent  throw of a play.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe ALL codes agree on this.

I had a strange argument from a daddy-ball coach last year on this one.  Runner on 3rd.  Pitch bounces near front of batters box, then hits batter on foot and ricochets in to 3rd base dugout.

I called TIME and sent batter to 1st, and runner back to 3rd.

COACH: But the ball went out of play, the runner should advance a base.

ME: The play was dead as soon as the pitch hit the batter.

COACH: But it went out of play.

ME: Only AFTER it was already dead.

COACH: but it went out of play.

ME: Nobody cares where the ball goes after its dead.

COACH: but it went...

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, FleasOf1000Camels said:

Things to remember:

Time Of Pitch is NOT the moment the ball leaves pitcher's hand, but is the instant when he initiates any action that commits him to deliver.

A thrown ball that enters dead-ball territory (including being wedged in backstop or fence) will always award bases to all runners, regardless of whether or not they were attempting to advance.

Awards are NOT accumulative.  Ex: ball 4 is a wild pitch that goes to DBT...batter is only awarded 1st base...we've all heard some knucklehead argue that batter gets first on the walk, then second on the wild pitch...NO, 1 base only.

1 base from time of pitch to all runners if it was a pitch or a pick-off throw from the pitcher while engaged on the rubber.

2 bases from time of pitch if thrown by an infielder (including the pitcher acting as an infielder...NOT engaged) on the initial throw of any play.

2 bases from time of throw if thrown by an outfielder OR thrown by an anyone on the 2nd or subsequent  throw of a play.

Correct me if I'm wrong - if a fielder loses possession of the ball (eg. when making a tag) and the ball goes out of play I think that is just a one base award

Time of pitch = when pitcher starts pitching motion

Time of throw = when ball leaves fielder's hand.

One exception to the base award is if two base runners are between the same two bases - then the award is based on the lead runner, so there are times where a following runner will get a lesser (or no) award

And if anyone cares about softball - Time of throw also applies to infield throws, rather than TOP.

1 hour ago, Mister B said:

We have some fields that leave a little to be desired. Ball hits fair in right field, but then hits a gopher hole and slowly rolls under the fence. TOP orTime of Fence? 

2 from the time of pitch - the same as bouncing over the fence on the hit

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FleasOf1000Camels said:

Things to remember:

One correction. Two bases time of throw when it's the 2nd PLAY by an infielder...example, R1,R2, GB to F6. F6 attempts a tag on R2 and misses, meanwhile R1 has reached 2B. F6 then throws wild and out of play to F3. ...2 bases time of throw...Both R2 and R1 awarded home. BR would be awarded 2B IF he hadn't reached 1B time of throw. If for some reason F6 threw wild to F3 after BR had touched 1B, the BR would be awarded 3B. The tag attempt is considered the first play by the infielder. 

2 hours ago, THUMPER61 said:

R1 r2 line dr hit to fielder 4. 4 throws to first but throws it DBT. Is  the catch the first play or 2nd and where can I find the rule.

A "play" is a legitimate attempt to retire a RUNNER.  The catch is not a play.

The specifics can be found in many threads here -- or in PBUC / MLBUM, etc.