Pitcher's glove

kylehutson
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2537 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I don't do NCAA (at least, not yet) and am unfamiliar with some of the rules differences. I work for the university that posted this: https://twitter.com/KStateBSB/status/838505463004082176

My first thought was "isn't that a grey swoosh on the pitcher's glove? Isn't that illegal?"

Is that not an NCAA rule? Or maybe it's just the light coming off the glove weird, but wouldn't reflective be illegal as well?

The pitcher’s glove may not be white or gray, exclusive of piping nor, in the judgment of the umpire, be distracting in any way�

PENALTY for d�—  A violator shall be given reasonable time to correct the situation� If it is not done, the violator shall be ejected from the game�

33 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

Why is it legal? It has a large expanse of gray and the gray is not the excepted piping.

I believe the rule is more geared to prevent the usage of gloves like this by a pitcher, the rule is not made to make a pitcher with a black glove change it. 

z-whitegrey.jpg

a2000_ot6_overlay_back_600_ss.png

9d884350f3a4fa130f25b20e20a51ab5.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rich Ives said:

Why is it legal? It has a large expanse of gray and the gray is not the excepted piping.

The Nike swoosh is gray, ...so what?

I'd like to see your reaction when an umpire disallows your pitcher using that glove.  You'd have a fit, and you know it.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2017 at 6:44 AM, kylehutson said:

Or maybe it's just the light coming off the glove weird, but wouldn't reflective be illegal as well?

I see what you are referring to... it does appear to be somewhat reflective... I might, MIGHT have an issue with that on a sunny day if it was beaming into my eyes but other than that there is no way I am picking this bugger normally. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2017 at 0:38 PM, Thunderheads said:

The Nike swoosh is gray, ...so what?

I'd like to see your reaction when an umpire disallows your pitcher using that glove.  You'd have a fit, and you know it.

You don't know me and I wouldn't allow my F1 to use the glove.

One thing that jumped out at me was how the pitcher is holding it, turning his hand more than most do to fully expose the shiny swoosh. Maybe it's more innocuous than I'm making it, but, like I said, I noticed that right away, which was suggestive to me that he knows it can be distracting, and is tryin got take advantage of that.

If it flashes at me (like with Mudisfun and his sunny day point) then it becomes distracting to me, and I'll make him change it. Otherwise, I am probably not going to do anything about it unless someone complains.

I am pretty sure that the glove manufacturers know the rules, and what pitcher's can use. That logo IMO is not an issue. There are uniforms our there with much more gray or white on the front that is more distracting than that glove is.

The rule book (in this case) is a guide - we need to use some common sense.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2017 at 11:30 AM, Rich Ives said:

You don't know me and I wouldn't allow my F1 to use the glove.

That is not the rule.. the Glove.. the glove.. not the logo or the piping.. it can not be grey or white...

the Piping..and logo is fine if it is grey.. HOLY cow you guys need to stop digging and make up your own interpretations. 

I'll get one more kick... THERE!... on this dead horse...

If you guys read the article, and understand the context, the pitcher in question threw a complete game no-hitter. As in, there were 27 batters he faced wherein this "egregiously distracting glove logo" could have been addressed by the umpires. And what are we seeing in the clip? Out number 27. Does he still have the glove on? Yes.

Then it must not have been an officially-interpreted distraction. Umpires didn't miss anything; the glove is legal. Case closed, call the equine renderer to get this carcass off the field.

• Like 1