High Strike Video

kstrunk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2564 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The NCAA video that just came out on the High Strike has answered a pet peeve of mine, and I am so grateful that they put it out. I think it's well done, and I'm praying guys will embrace the concepts therein wholeheartedly. The pitches shown are pitches that can be hit hard by batters, and indeed are pitches that are often labeled 'mistakes' by pitchers and defenses. True, they DON'T want to throw it up there because it's a pitch that can be driven out out of the park. That, coupled with the truth that it is within the strike zone according to rule, DEMANDS they be called strikes. And in so doing, IMHO, we will benefit the game for everyone, IF the majority of us get on board. But frankly, I'm not sure why we wouldn't??? Thank you NCAA Umpire Coordinators!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kstrunk said:

The NCAA video that just came out on the High Strike has answered a pet peeve of mine, and I am so grateful that they put it out. I think it's well done, and I'm praying guys will embrace the concepts therein wholeheartedly. The pitches shown are pitches that can be hit hard by batters, and indeed are pitches that are often labeled 'mistakes' by pitchers and defenses. True, they DON'T want to throw it up there because it's a pitch that can be driven out out of the park. That, coupled with the truth that it is within the strike zone according to rule, DEMANDS they be called strikes. And in so doing, IMHO, we will benefit the game for everyone, IF the majority of us get on board. But frankly, I'm not sure why we wouldn't??? Thank you NCAA Umpire Coordinators!!!

Been preaching this to the local hs unit for years.  Had an experienced umpire who has played and coached adult ball for years telling new umpires you can either be a low strike umpire or a high strike umpire. You can't be both.  I say, "Why not just be a strike zone umpire"?

• Like 3

I can admit to this much... I've jumped the gun on this, and thus going against the grain, I've called strikes that are too high, allowing the pendulum to swing too far too fast, and I must be very cautious with this, even now. But I agree with... 

11 minutes ago, umpstu said:

"Why not just be a strike zone umpire"?

Well said. 

2 hours ago, umpstu said:

Been preaching this to the local hs unit for years.  Had an experienced umpire who has played and coached adult ball for years telling new umpires you can either be a low strike umpire or a high strike umpire. You can't be both.  I say, "Why not just be a strike zone umpire"?

Love that. 

• Like 1

Yes. And that does not mean some oblong type egg shaped zone either.

All those outlier squares inside the zone, on those strike zone batters charts that Ted Williams says will make you a below the Mendoza line hitter, should not be exempt either.

If the pitchers hit those spots (strikes), those go too. Wish there were just Collegiate shots through the whole film rather than bring in MLB, but anything to help works.

And

No matter how you define the strike zone, to some, a good pitch at the top of the zone, just barely inside the square, will look just barely outside the square, to some umpires. Same with a low pitch or corner pitches, a pitch that is barely outside the zone anywhere will look just barely inside the zone to some umpires and vice versa.

Nice film to help illustrate what the NCAA wants called. Just make sure no one is penalized for calling such pitches, and make sure umpires are backed up when calling these pitches, even when they result in chirping on that pitch, and then that chirping leads to an ejection, that would not have resulted in chirping and an ejection before. No lowering of an umpires rating or schedule for enforcing the zone the NCAA puts a film out on, no matter whether it is a Big 5, 6, 1,000,000 Conference, or whatever, with the coaches or evaluators.

Thanks for posting this video. Many on this site have encouraged others to call strikes on "boarderline" pitches. I try and establish my zone right from the start and let the teams adjust to it without apologies. I also encourage my catchers to help me by keeping strikes looking like strikes.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been grabbing them so far this season, and the coaches and hitters do seem to simply adjust after the first one or two, especially if you're fortunate enough to get one in the first few innings. It's a little more difficult if the first one you see up there is in the 5th and no one expects it yet. 

But yes, only if the majority of us are grabbing it will the expectations adapt.

And I'm on board with @kstrunk in my thinking - it's an absolute hitter's pitch, a mistake pitch that deserves to be crushed. You don't even bother to swing? Yikes. Strike!

• Like 1

I had to laugh this weekend as I had a plate for a program I've worked for a lot the past few years. I balled a pitch just outside​ my zone and heard from their dugout, "come on Ken, that's a strike in your world".

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1