HR No RBI?

Guest Eastside
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2575 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Eastside

Here is the situation: There are two outs and a runner on second base. The batter hits a homer. The runner on second misses third base. After the runners both reach home the defensive team appeals correctly and successfully. The lead runner it out #3. Here is the question. How is that scored? Does the batter get credit for a homerun with no RBIs?

13 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, Guest Eastside said:

Here is the situation: There are two outs and a runner on second base. The batter hits a homer. The runner on second misses third base. After the runners both reach home the defensive team appeals correctly and successfully. The lead runner it out #3. Here is the question. How is that scored? Does the batter get credit for a homerun with no RBIs?

There is no run. Credit the batter with a single.

No runs can score after the third out.

5.08(b) APPROVED RULING: Two out, Jones on second, Smith
on first and batter, Brown, hits home run inside the park.
All three runs cross the plate. But Jones missed third
base, and on appeal is declared out. Three outs. Smith’s
and Brown’s runs are voided. No score on the play.

20 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

There is no run. Credit the batter with a single.

No runs can score after the third out.

5.08(b) APPROVED RULING: Two out, Jones on second, Smith
on first and batter, Brown, hits home run inside the park.
All three runs cross the plate. But Jones missed third
base, and on appeal is declared out. Three outs. Smith’s
and Brown’s runs are voided. No score on the play.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in the OP the miss of 3rd base and appeal after the batter crosses home is a time play, not a force out. In this approved ruling R2's missed base was a force, and no runs can score when the 3rd out is a force.

The batter's run should score and he would get an RBI for himself.

10 minutes ago, Mussgrass said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but in the OP the miss of 3rd base and appeal after the batter crosses home is a time play, not a force out. In this approved ruling R2's missed base was a force, and no runs can score when the 3rd out is a force.

R2 was the third out and no runners "behind" the third out can score.

23 minutes ago, WilsonFlyer said:

What bout an OOP where it's an immediate dead ball and a declaration HR?

I'm having a little trouble understanding your question.  Are you asking about a home run that's hit out of the park as opposed to an inside-the-park homerun?

Doesn't matter -- same ruling on the run and the scoring (although the latter is an assumption on my part).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mussgrass said:

I quoted the rule book approved ruling on the play.  No run scores. 

The actual rule. This play is excerption (3).  I added the bolding.

EXCEPTION: A run is not scored if the runner
advances to home base during a play in which the third
out is made (
1) by the batter-runner before he touches
first base; (2) by any runner being forced out; or (3) by
a preceding runner who is declared out because he
failed to touch one of the bases.

Batter gets a single, no RBI's (though I have seen some arguments in score keeping circles that would credit a double)

Runner who missed third gets 200 push ups.

If there had been runners at second and third, and R2 missed third base, it would be a single with one RBI.

If the runner had been at first base and missed second base it would be fielder's choice, no hit.

4 hours ago, WilsonFlyer said:

What bout an OOP where it's an immediate dead ball and a declaration HR?

Home runs hit over the fence still require everyone to legally touch all bases (if you want all the runs to count).  The home run trot isn't just ceremonial.  Otherwise we could just have everybody return to the dugout when the ball crosses the fence.

4 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

I quoted the rule book approved ruling on the play.  No run scores. 

The actual rule. This play is excerption (3).  I added the bolding.

EXCEPTION: A run is not scored if the runner
advances to home base during a play in which the third
out is made (
1) by the batter-runner before he touches
first base; (2) by any runner being forced out; or (3) by
a preceding runner who is declared out because he
failed to touch one of the bases.

just to be clear, if say R2 touched all the proper bases but the B/R missed third on his home run trot, R2's run would still count after an appeal?

12 hours ago, Mussgrass said:

And someone may have to correct me (and I promise I'm not being a smarty pants or knit picking, just want to make sure I have it right) it is neither a time nor what a lot of people call a force. It's considered an appeal play. 

I know a lot of people will call a runner not tagging up and the defense throwing back to the bag a force, but it's not. It's an appeal. 

23 minutes ago, S0M0TEITBE said:

And someone may have to correct me (and I promise I'm not being a smarty pants or knit picking, just want to make sure I have it right) it is neither a time nor what a lot of people call a force. It's considered an appeal play. 

I know a lot of people will call a runner not tagging up and the defense throwing back to the bag a force, but it's not. It's an appeal. 

Correct.

BUT an appeal play MAY have a time element as to whether a run scores or not. (But not in the play under discussion)

• Like 1