Register or Sign In to remove these ads
jwclubbie

Carlucci Chest Protector

12 posts in this topic

Would anyone know what material this CP was made out of for the protective padding? Is their a comparable CP on the market now? I like the look (just not the blue)!

4560859058_322dfa7691_o.png

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

I would assume leather. I used to have a tag Chest protector that was made of a leather type material when I started in the mid 90s. 

It was a marine grade vinyl in Cece Carlucci's trademark Blue color. The CP's were individually measured to fit and all hand made. The style shown above was typical of CP's in the later years of Cece's career. Carlucci passed in 2008.

CP technology has far surpassed the styles and protective qualities of these type of protectors. But for cool factor?.......I think the only vintage CP that I can imagine giving up my Platinum for would be a Riddell Power re-fitted with Team Wendy padding.....

1 person likes this

On Thu Mar 09 2017 at 11:56 AM, acpar72 said:

On Thu Mar 09 2017 at 5:46 PM, gnhbua93 said:

+1. Agree with you 100%

Did I miss something here?

Back in 1999, I was visiting Australia and (unknown to me) illegally working baseball games to earns spending money.

I was in the market for a new CP when I got back to the states in a month or two. Icalled Cece on a phone card just to get pricing and and such. It was supposed to be a 10 minute phone call. Cece wouldn't stop asking questions and telling me stories for over a hour and a half.

Let's just say THAT phone call was worth every penny!

1 person likes this

Would love to see one of these CP sometime in person. Wish other companies had the hands on approach that came with crafting these. 

What would be cool would be someone taking measurements, like Cece did, and creating hard shell chest protectors that come curved to ones particular curves. Plus, if they could somehow attain the Team Wendy gel padding, or something similar, that would be cool. Of course, $800+ custom chest protectors probably wouldn't sell very well, so that's why we don't have them.

Cece's gear is primitive, compared to today's technology (which is still pretty crude), but has a handmade quality you can really feel.

1 person likes this

I have been fortunate to actually see 2 versions of Cece's work. The things that struck me were the obvious hand craftsmanship and attention to detail. The other thing was how small they were. Obviously when made from the original users measurements, the protector covered them well. 

@kylejt  hits it on the head.  For the time frame he was making them they were outstanding. The most obvious reason was the custom fit. At the time I was considering getting Cece to make me one ( Trust me, it was a brief consideration, unfortunately I could not afford it) I was wearing a old style rolled pad CP. A custom made Carlucci would have been quite the step up for me in protective gear.

A Carlucci compared to todays offerings would come up short.  We are so fortunate to have the advanced styles and materials that we have in the newer models. I'm sure they far exceed Cece's efforts. But like anything custom made.....be it shoes or suits, it still speaks of quality and durability.