Register or Sign In to remove these ads
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mbkcoach

Type of hem on pants

4 posts in this topic

When you go to get your pants hemmed, what type of hem do you tell the seamstress to sew? The hem on my plate pants caught my shins and came loose Saturday.  Thanks. 

Register or Sign In to remove these ads

I've always had the hidden stitching, about 2" up from the bottom. I've never told anyone what to do it that way, its's just what they've always done.  Had pairs done from about 6 different places over the years including Honigs warehouse. 

Just took in the poly-spandex last week and for the first time was asked which I wanted. Went with the hidden one because it's what I've always done. I also thought the normal would show a lot more then they do in the poly-wools that I've seen people have the normal stitching done. 

I have had had the hem get caught a couple times and rip. Took them back and they restitched. 

Great question... I use to do the hidden stitch.  Now I go to my tailor for the straight stitch.  Now here is the key.. you need to take your pants to Jo-Ann Fabric or your local store that stocks a sh!t ton of thread and match it up.  Then take the thread to the tailor.  Tailors have 2-3 shades of grey and they will try to match it up but sometimes its not 100%.  

On the new Smitty pants due to the stretch element of the pant I would go with a straight stitch but I would match the pant to the thread....  I AM THE MARTHA STEWART OF UMPIRING!

6 people like this

On 3/6/2017 at 6:43 PM, Chris Hickman said:

Great question... I use to do the hidden stitch.  Now I go to my tailor for the straight stitch.  Now here is the key.. you need to take your pants to Jo-Ann Fabric or your local store that stocks a sh!t ton of thread and match it up.  Then take the thread to the tailor.  Tailors have 2-3 shades of grey and they will try to match it up but sometimes its not 100%.  

On the new Smitty pants due to the stretch element of the pant I would go with a straight stitch but I would match the pant to the thread....  I AM THE MARTHA STEWART OF UMPIRING!

You are right about the gray. My mother in law hemmed mine and she purchased a gray thread that doesn't match.  I'm sure I'm the only one who notices.