Changing Plate Mechanics IN GAME

kstrunk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2572 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I love watching Laz Diaz call MLB games. Love his energy and enthusiasm. But it's puzzled me for a couple years now, why he's constantly changing his plate mechanics. For a couple innings he'll work the slot 'heel/toe', then he'll switch to the scissors. Calling strikes too... he'll use the hammer out front, then later he'll point to the side, and then he'll often switch back. 

Does anyone else do this? Is there a rationale for it? Or is it just a personal preference? 

I change stances quite frequently in the beginning of the season.  I start the game with heel/toe and switch to the "Gerry Davis" stance later in the game.  My changes are primarily for pain management.  I have degenerative discs in my back.

I typically use the hammer out front unless I'm doing a HS game where Grandma might be sitting beyond outfield fence or a stadium game where the announcers box is up and behind (and might not see the hammer out front), then I'll point to the side.  YMMV

• Like 1

I went to a spring training game thursday. Hunter Wendlestedt was behind the plate and he kept trying new mechanics. From box, scissors, point, hammer. Good thing came out of it though, i got his autograph and a baseball from him. And also mark Wegner autograph.

Snapchat-2080675762.jpg

Snapchat-1250687896.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:14 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

I change stances quite frequently in the beginning of the season.  I start the game with heel/toe and switch to the "Gerry Davis" stance later in the game.  My changes are primarily for pain management.  I have degenerative discs in my back.

Same here... Muscle relief, pain management. When you get old and you still love the game you try anything to stay in it.

Having watched the NY Kid Laz for years he may do it to get a rise out of a Manager :P. Or maybe he does so many games he just gets bored doing it the same way all of the time. I attended a game in Arlington last season where he was the PU. He came out dressed differently than the other 3 ??? I don't know, maybe his luggage got lost. :rolleyes: 

19 hours ago, Donny7 said:

Same here... Muscle relief, pain management. When you get old and you still love the game you try anything to stay in it.

Having watched the NY Kid Laz for years he may do it to get a rise out of a Manager :P. Or maybe he does so many games he just gets bored doing it the same way all of the time. I attended a game in Arlington last season where he was the PU. He came out dressed differently than the other 3 ??? I don't know, maybe his luggage got lost. :rolleyes: 

Plate umpires do dress differently than field umps. Do you mean Laz was in blue while the others were in black? 

21 hours ago, TheRockawayKid said:

Plate umpires do dress differently than field umps. Do you mean Laz was in blue while the others were in black? 

My Bad. My son reminded me it was C.B. Buckner NOT Laz and... yes he was dressed in a different color. I have never seen it before nor since. Also he came out of the tunnel a few minutes after the other 3. VERY ODD!