Outside Chest Protector

ScubaUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2501 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

15 hours ago, maineump said:

Maybe this is a foolish question but - don't you use a balloon and work over the catcher instead on in the slot?

You can use the balloon or the inside protector and be in the slot.    Just because the old-time video has a baloon umpire over the top, doesn't mean one caused (or is a requirement of) the other

• Like 1

Habits and tradition. I recall that the AL, where the balloon predominated long after the NL went to inside CPs, was known as the "high strike" league because of how umpires were setting up directly behind the catcher. As a matter of historical curiosity, I have read that Bill Klem began to work the slot after the innovation of the inside CP.

• Like 1

Did a Minor B game with my son on Saturday and I used the OSP... sat in the slot, stayed nice and cool and let the raft take the hits.

Fun game for all.

• Like 2